Mazda CX-9 2010 and True Fit Premier install

bloghappy

I have a 2010 CX-9 and a Truefit Premier. It's time to add the headrest as my daughter is around 22 lbs now. Is it possible to have the carseat touching the front passenger seat? I can't find anything about it in the car manual.

I'm really having trouble getting the seat upright enough (yet around 35 degrees) without touching the passenger seat. I can't move the passenger seat any more.

And is there any trick to getting the seat to sit more upright with the ARB? It keeps wanting to slide up no matter how hard I pull on the LATCH strap to tighten it.

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Hi and welcome!

The way I install, well, most seats, but especially the TF is this:

Take off the headrest if you have it on. Get in the car behind the seat and push in and down with your hips/legs as you tighten, at the angle you want. Getting the TFP pushed into the seat back really helps.

That said, the TF can lightly touch the front seat, but not be braced. You'd find a warning against things touching the seat back in the airbag section of your car's manual.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
My 2012 Mazda says nothing hanging, kicking, touching, resting, etc. against the passenger seat.

When you adjust the TFP, do you have the yellow recline foot out? If not, put it in. That should get it more upright.

Add weight by the feet area as you tighten everything down. Or try with the seatbelt and see if that changes how upright you can get it.

Wendy

bloghappy

That was a complete and utter pain in the @ss, but I got it nice and tight and at a 35 degree angle. Took using the seatbelt instead of latch and a lot of internal swearing and wrangling of seat. And I don't know how I'm going to get in between the seats to snap the cover back down.

The passenger seat is now too far forward for my husband to use it, so I think we're just going to have to turn her around the end of May when we head off on a trip. Until then, just on in-town trips, he'll ride in the back.

Last edited:

jess71903

Ambassador
That was a complete and utter pain in the @ss, but I got it nice and tight and at a 35 degree angle. Took using the seatbelt instead of latch and a lot of internal swearing and wrangling of seat. And I don't know how I'm going to get in between the seats to snap the cover back down.

Sorry you had a hard time with it! The TF seems to be one of those seats with a learning curve. You wrangle the first couple of times, then you get it and can do it in no time. That's my experience, anyway.

For the cover, I understand needing to pull it back the first time to get a feel for it, but I never pull mine back anymore. There are 2 slits in the cover, one over each lock-off. I just route the LATCH strap or seatbelt under the cover, then use those flaps to tighten and close the lock-offs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC