Question Recaro ProRide butt pad part....

PunkyMonkey

When can this be removed???? I found nothing about it in the whole manual or Internet and I took it out today to give my DD more leg room RF but I just wanted to double check if anyone has seen any restrictions on when you can remove this. It's so weird, it's in every picture and the labeling diagram of seat in manual but doesn't have a label to what it's called and it's not mentioned anywhere -- I read it cover to cover!

Of course the ONE 5 minute ride I removed it DD had a poopsplosion :( had I left it in I'd just be cleaning that part rather than the entire cover set (soaking in bathtub now which reminded me to post this).

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse autocorrects!

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I think it's just for comfort and there are no restrictions, but I would call Recaro to make sure.

Eta: shoot, that's the Pro Sport. Yup, I'd just give Recaro a ring.

djma

I believe it's required. Probably mostly for comfort. I know I wouldn't want my butt to be resting on the cover over hard plastic. :p

I would call to ask....and of course post back here so we can know. :D

purplemama

Don't call, email. She doesn't answer the phone, you have to leave a voicemail. (yes, I belive there is one person, her name is Carol). And I had trouble finding the correct phone number anyway.

childseats-usa@recar​o-cs.com

I'm curious too. I have a ProRide my DD rides in and I have the padding in for her but my DS2 rides in a Euro and I took his out.

PunkyMonkey

It's actual pretty cushiony without that in there and still soft but yeah I emailed so I'll post whatever she writes back!! Thanks everyone!!!

djma

Have you tried it? Did it make much of a difference in legroom? If so - and based on your answer from Recaro - I may take DD's out to see if it makes any difference.

MorgieBear'sMama

I'm also interested in the answer.

I thought I remembered from back when the Signo came out Recaro called them hip bolsters and they had to be used. I would gladly take ours out since I'm always digging them out from under the kids.

Ashley- Mom to Morgan 2/25/04 riding in SK Monterey and Clek Olli, Jackson and Colton 11/1/10 riding in Diono R120's and Recaro ProRIDE's

djma

Ok, now I'm confused. :p

Are you talking about the piece of styrafoam underneath the seats cover?

Or the hip bolster thingies? (I had totally forgotten about those since I don't use them)

purplemama

Ok, now I'm confused. :p

Are you talking about the piece of styrafoam underneath the seats cover?

Or the hip bolster thingies? (I had totally forgotten about those since I don't use them)

Hmmm, I assumed OP was talking about the removeable thingy that is under the butt and comes up beside the hips. I sort of figured that with it being removeable and that there is NO mention of it in the manual that it's optional. I hope it's optional.

PunkyMonkey

Well just to be sure I am talking about this part:
buttpad.png

This is my email to her:

Hello,
A few of us moms on the carseat board are wondering what the requirements are regarding the butt pad insert for the proride convertible. Is this piece required to be used or is it optional? I think if I remove it my daughter will have more leg room rear facing but I cannot find anything about it in the manual. She is ERF at 16 months and 26 pounds so I am wondering if it can come out so she has more space! Thanks in advance!!​

This is what she wrote to me:

The butt pad is for comfort only and can be removed. I’m not sure how removing this comfort pad will increase the leg room for your daughter as she’s sitting on this pad and the pad is not behind her back pushing her forward.

The National Highway Transportation Association states that your child is safer rear facing even if their legs are bent or crossed while rear facing. It is much easier to heal an injury to a leg as opposed to the chest/neck in case of an accident.​

This is what I wrote back:

Just to be clear on the part I am referring to as it makes total sense that it would provide more leg room if it was removed:

(Pic I put above)

Someone mentioned it being called "hip / thigh bolsters" on the old Signo/Como seats.

I am well aware of the Rear facing benefits, that is why my daughter is still Rear Facing but thanks for the info.

When my daughter sits in her seat she kind of sits "Indian style" and without this pad in there, she has at least an inch of extra space on both sides of her.

Thanks again.

I guess I don't understand why she felt in necessary to give me a textbook schooling on legs being broken better than necks as I stated originally that my DD is RF lol. I don't know why I'm irritated lol but I am.... so we'll see what she says!

I'll keep you all posted!

djma

Ok, we removed those long ago. LOL

I thought you were referring to the actual styrafoam under the seat cover. :p

MorgieBear'sMama

It sounds like they are ok with them being out. Thanks.

I don't know where I got that they were required :confused:

Ashley- Mom to Morgan 2/25/04 riding in SK Monterey and Clek Olli, Jackson and Colton 11/1/10 riding in Diono R120's and Recaro ProRIDE's

PunkyMonkey

OK yes this is what I got back:

Yes, that is a comfort pad and can be removed. Thank you for choosing Recaro Child Safety.

Always be safe in your travels.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,

Carol Ruscoe
Customer Service Associate​

So feel free to remove those things!!!! Thanks everyone :)

PunkyMonkey

I don't know where I got that they were required :confused:

Maybe they used to be? I thought it was weird that the manual didn't mention it and because of that I figured it might be required (which is why I figured I'd better ask) as anything else would be that's not mentioned specifically!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Honestly, I think that's an awesome reply. I know *you* didn't need the ERF lecture but another parent may have been considering turning their child if they couldn't gain extra leg room. I'm VERY thankful to see a manufacturer promoting ERF so strongly! :)

PunkyMonkey

Very true... I guess I was just in a mood and being sensitive. I felt like someone copied and pasted a text book response that was unnecessary but you're right... It's good that they put that in their replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC