SHOCK! Parkway SG fits where nothing else will.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I am in total shock.

I had a Parkway SG arrive today. After determining that it works MUCH better with the seat belts in my Suburban, just for kicks and giggles I threw it in my Civic to see whether it would by chance fit where no other seat does.

I had a Coccoro in the center position and I was sure it wouldn't fit. But it did! Very very difficult to buckle, but possible. I did have to remove the head rest to make it fit, but the backs of the seats are high enough I think the child I need it for will still have vehicle support. I can decide when she gets too tall for vehicle support whether to continue using it as a HBB or just use it backless at that point.

Then I took the Coccoro out and put in a Radian 80SL instead. And it still fit! My angle adjuster is in use in the other vehicle so I haven't verified whether it still works with that, or with the Diono RXT. Ideally I'd like to have the RXT and angle adjuster in there, I think.

I am very surprised. I could not make any other seat fit in that position, and I've tried a lot - including the Turbo (couldn't even get the vehicle door shut), a Harmony Youth Booster (couldn't squeeze it between the Radian and the side bolster to fit against the back of the vehicle seat, nor could I buckle it), and pretty much every other booster I've gotten my hands on. I really did not believe the PKWYSG would fit.

I wouldn't want to use it every day; no way will the child be able to buckle herself and I expect to be inadvertently teaching her some colorful words while I get her buckled in there, but I'm really glad I have an option since she's getting too tall for the Radian. And I'm no longer babysitting her on a regular basis right now so it will do the trick. With gas prices like they are I wasn't looking forward to having to take the Suburban everywhere whenever G is with us.

I'll have to squeeze another car seat in there and post in the 3 across thread sometime when I have some extra time. :)

By the way, this is the dreaded 2005 Civic.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I will take pics when I can. :) I'd rather have a model in the booster to show for it, but maybe a large teddy bear will have to do the trick. ;)

msg221

I had a Parkway delivered on Saturday as well! I couldn't pass it up for $51 on GaGa Deals! It's Cowmoo. It fits in my 3 across, but still not well enough to make it easy to buckle, but at least it is more padded than the TB so should probably be more comfortable for when Ziad, Nour & Zain's cousin, rides with us.

luckyclov

I've had PWSGs work in a couple of situations I thought were hopeless...most notably, the 3rd row of the new generation Chrysler minivans.

Glad it worked for you. I love our PWSG.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Ok, I published some photos here: http://gallery.me.com/iliz/100031

I'll try to post some individual pics with comments in a bit.

I can't stress enough for anybody wanting to try this that it's a VERY tight squeeze. I tried to put Aeryn in the booster just for looks (because I don't have a booster-age model) but in the 15 seconds or so that I had before she decided she wanted to climb over the Radian into the front seat, I wasn't able to get the belt buckled. This would not work well in a kindergarten pickup line (although it might be ok for drop-off). It's very likely that I would use the leave-the-booster-buckled trick and slide the kid in and out under the seat belt. BUT... it is possible (though difficult; have I stressed that enough?) to buckle it and once it's in, it's in.

You also have to kind of wiggle the PWSG into place. It doesn't just sit on the seat and fall into place. But it fits.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I got mine for about $41 off Wayfair, thanks to Snafued stalking on the shopping sub-forum who snagged one in her cart ($62ish) and released it to me, and $21 in Wayfair rewards points. :p
What's funny is that I've had several Parkways come in and out of my possession over the last several months, but it never occurred to me that it would work because I can't even get the door shut on a Turbo. It's all good, though, because now I have Onyx and that's the color I really wanted anyway. :)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Action shot!! I had to pick up G from kindy today. Luckily I had the pkwy with me because I didn't have time really to go home and switch cars and this was a last minute thing.

I had her jump into the car in the pickup line and then pulled over into a parking space to get her buckled. It took a few minutes because it was so tight next to the radian. The won't allow us to park and bring a child out to a parked car. :(

The head rest is as high as it will go and still fit. It's right against the car ceiling on the left side. If she gets any taller she will have to go backless.

I kinda like the SG now that I've had a chance to try it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
As a side note... it was a new teacher or assistant I hadn't met bringing G out to the car. She sees the baby and asks, G, "Who's that, your little sister?" G says, "No, it's my aunt." "No, the baby, is she your sister?" "No, she's my aunt." "Oh, you mean your cousin?" "No, she's my aunt." So then she asks me, "So who's the little..." And I say, "Oh, she's G's aunt." "The baby?" "Yes." I got a lot of blinks and then a sheepish grin out of the teacher. Love it. :) Oh the joys of multigenerational non-traditional families!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC