• Not using the seat anymore

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Using it without head rest

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Using it with head rest with a large gap

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

steph_s

How will you be using your monterey now?

I'm torn, ds doesn't fit (too tall) or isn't comfortable (lack of leg support) in other boosters, but I have no vehicle head rests.

ADS

tiggercat

steph_s said:
How will you be using your monterey now?

I'm torn, ds doesn't fit (too tall) or isn't comfortable (lack of leg support) in other boosters, but I have no vehicle head rests.

Mine will be living in the basement, I think. Not much use for them.
I am on the quest for a decent booster now, since I am uncomfortable removing my headrests and uncomfortable with a huge gap btw vehicle seat and backrest and UGH!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

ElfJewel

We took the back off. I'm not happy about it, but I'm also not comfortable using the TB without the headrest now, and I don't like the way any of our other NBBs fit her. The Frontier doesn't work in our car as a booster :(

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
So in addition to the belt guide issue, there's a headrest issue. Fabulous.

Syllieann

Why do most boosters need to be flat against the seat back? I understand that we want to use them the way they were tested but just curious what the reason is behind it? Nothing really jumps out at me as obvious.

njkj

If I have to move J to the middle when E gets here I don't know what I'll do. I mean he could sit in the third row but with both girls OB it would be pain for him to get back there plus I would lose half of my cargo room. I could switch DH and use the Turbo but I think I would fell more comfy using the Monterey w/o head support over the Turbo. Ugh I have no idea!!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Mysweethoneybee

Our car has no head rests in the back seat. He is already too tall for most boosters. I have no choice.
Our van I could use a nbb in the captains chair with the headrest, but I think he is safer in the Monterey. The manual says no gaps so I am going with the manual on this and using it the best I can with what I have. So the headrests are off and we are still using the Monterey with the back.

4boysmom

Don't throw things at me but when I went to put on the headrests there was not much gap to speak of and what I see looks safe in my van. The booster is not relying on the headrest as a pressure point. Both head rests however are at their max heights.
I did find that my frontier is slipping and slouching though. I installed it and it is "acceptable" I suppose but I really need dh to push it "back and down" a hair before we drive it next.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I can only speak hypothetically because all the seating positions I have where I could use the Monterey have head rests which don't interfere with the seat fit.

I got to compare my Monterey side-by-side with the Parkway SG today. Honestly, in spite of the fact that Diono doesn't allow no-head-rest but Britax does, I would feel a LOT more comfortable with the Monterey in a support-less position compared to the Parkway.

I am not terribly concerned with the risk of whiplash. Yeah, it would be painful for a child if the booster didn't provide adequate protection, but we don't have any standards to show which boosters do a better or worse job. Generally, I like the Monterey better than the Parkway SG and I think it's a more solid seat all around.

As it happens, however, in my Suburban the seat belts won't retract in the Monterey, and in my Civic I have discovered today the Parkway actually fits (ironically, only if I remove the head rest, but I think the seat back is high enough that won't matter for a while) next to my center-positioned RF Radian. So I'll be selling my Monterey if I can because it (sadly) just is incompatible with my situation. If it weren't for the retractor problems I might even keep both and use the Monterey in the Suburban (because I like it better) and the Parkway in the Civic just because it's the only thing that will fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC