Suggestions?

tiggercat

6 yr old, 53lb girl.
2002 Dodge Caravan (capt seats, 3rd row bench)
I was using a Monterey in the capt chair with the headrest removed to make it flush with the back as described in the manual. Now that we know head support is required, I put on the headrest, got a huge gap between backrest and vehicle seat. I am not ok with this. The Monterey doesn't work in the third row at all, the belt doesn't retract freely through the belt guide at all (SSK or Diono models). I brought out the Turbo booster, and with the headrest in the capt chair there is a huge gap between the vehicle seat and backrest. I am not sure if I am ok with removing the head restraint on the vehicle seat until I know Graco's official position. Turbo tips sideways in the third row.
So, where do I go from here? Anyone have anything that would work with these head restraints? Or strong enough for me not to worry about removing them?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:
ADS

mominabigtruck

That's odd, I never had any problems with my turbo in the third row. An os parkway fit great back there too.
Posted via Mobile Device

tiggercat

mominabigtruck said:
That's odd, I never had any problems with my turbo in the third row. An os parkway fit great back there too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, the parkway fit great back there but it is in a 3 across in another vehicle right now so I can't use it. The Turbo tips towards the center of the back bench, enough that her shoulder slides out from under the shoulder belt.
I'd really like something that will work with those headrests, but I just can't come up with anything. I really don't like her in a backless.
Someone tell me what to do!

momtotwogirls

Yeah, the parkway fit great back there but it is in a 3 across in another vehicle right now so I can't use it. The Turbo tips towards the center of the back bench, enough that her shoulder slides out from under the shoulder belt.
I'd really like something that will work with those headrests, but I just can't come up with anything. I really don't like her in a backless.

Could you put the headrests on backwards?

tiggercat

momtotwogirls said:
Could you put the headrests on backwards?

They don't lock into place backwards. I also tried the flatter third row headrests in the capt chairs but the support rods are further apart.

mominabigtruck

Get another parkway?

Posted via Mobile Device

tiggercat

I can't get another old style parkway, it's illegal to sell, loan or give away non-compliant seats, of which the OS parkway is. I can try out a new parkway, but it would be helpful to know if it might work, since it is different than the OS one.

mominabigtruck

I can't get another old style parkway, it's illegal to sell, loan or give away non-compliant seats, of which the OS parkway is. I can try out a new parkway, but it would be helpful to know if it might work, since it is different than the OS one.

Why is the pw non compliant?
Posted via Mobile Device

tiggercat

mominabigtruck said:
Why is the pw non compliant?
Posted via Mobile Device

It wasn't tested to the 2012 standards. It would still be good to use, but I can't borrow or buy one, so...

super_grape

The Monterey requires a headrest?? I feel so out of the loop these days....I need to get with the program.

What are the 2012 standards?

tiggercat

super_grape said:
The Monterey requires a headrest?? I feel so out of the loop these days....I need to get with the program.

What are the 2012 standards?

The Monterey has apparently always required head support to the child's ears even as a HBB, apparently we just all interpreted the manual incorrectly.

CMVSS was revised and the changed came into effect Jan 1, 2012. They changed a bunch of stuff, min for FF is now 22lbs and walking unassisted, seats are tested with a 3 pt belt, effectively an anti-rebound standard for RF seats, boosters are now crashtested, etc. Seats that don't meet new standards can't be sold, loaned, distributed or given away.

Where have you been, lol !

mominabigtruck

The Monterey has apparently always required head support to the child's ears even as a HBB, apparently we just all interpreted the manual incorrectly.

CMVSS was revised and the changed came into effect Jan 1, 2012. They changed a bunch of stuff, min for FF is now 22lbs and walking unassisted, seats are tested with a 3 pt belt, effectively an anti-rebound standard for RF seats, boosters are now crashtested, etc. Seats that don't meet new standards can't be sold, loaned, distributed or given away.

Clearly I haven't been keeping up. I just sold my pw a while back so I had no idea what you were talking about.

Hmmm, what about a hb amp?
Posted via Mobile Device

tiggercat

mominabigtruck said:
Clearly I haven't been keeping up. I just sold my pw a while back so I had no idea what you were talking about.

Hmmm, what about a hb amp?
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Canada ;)

I haven't played with an Amp, I think they are available in Canada, off to look! Not much SIP though, right?

mominabigtruck

Just Canada ;)

I haven't played with an Amp, I think they are available in Canada, off to look! Not much SIP though, right?

See, you were making me feel stupid and I'm not even in the right country, lol.

Not very much sip but the seat is more comfy for bigger kids. Both of my kids have outgrown the turbo but still like the amp.
Posted via Mobile Device

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
New style PWs do not require head support, so you can remove the headrest and use one. Or, the Oobr is designed to work with forwards leaning headrests, iirc.

tiggercat

Carrie_R said:
New style PWs do not require head support, so you can remove the headrest and use one. Or, the Oobr is designed to work with forwards leaning headrests, iirc.

I know the new style parkway doesn't require head support, but how sturdy is it? I am hesitant to remove the headrests these days, you never know!
I don't think I can manage an Oobr, as much as I'd like one.

Carrie_R

I haven't spent tons of time with them, but I would say similar to the Monterey. They're fairly sturdy.

tiggercat

Carrie_R said:
I haven't spent tons of time with them, but I would say similar to the Monterey. They're fairly sturdy.

Hmm. The Monterey seemed sturdy until I found out it required head restraints behind it!

Carrie_R

I know. But we still don't know if SK/D said that for testing or CYA reasons, and we DO know that Britax has okayed use without a headrest.

super_grape

wow, i had no idea! so, where would one find a list of seats that don't meet the new standards?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC