Favorite booster now???

Baylor

Considering that monterey is useless in seats with no headrest what do you think is the best option for those seats now? And why.

auto correct hates me

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Oobr because it offers strong structural support. Since there are no standards for testing such things, I don't have any reason to trust that an Evenflo or Graco or, frankly, even Britax would do any better; for all we know not requiring head support is just a marketing decision for those companies and may have nothing to do with the actual safety.

I might add Recaro but I've never seen one up close in person and I don't really know how they're built.

Baylor

Brigala said:
Oobr because it offers strong structural support. Since there are no standards for testing such things, I don't have any reason to trust that an Evenflo or Graco or, frankly, even Britax would do any better; for all we know not requiring head support is just a marketing decision for those companies and may have nothing to do with the actual safety.

I might add Recaro but I've never seen one up close in person and I don't really know how they're built.

Okay how about one that is not 300.00 or close to it.

I have a ProBooster and it has a good sturdy head support. I'll take pics for you. The thing is it reminds me of the Monterey. ;(

auto correct hates me

tiggercat

I honestly don't know. I am going to look at the parkway and see if it would work with my vehicle head restraints. And teach my daughter to buckle so she can go in the 3rd row with flatter head restraints, I guess.
Recaro is not avail in Canada, so not many choices here.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

glockchick

I love my Parkways. :love: They're like beefed up TBs with more padding and LATCH and I like the TB. Narrow enough, but plenty big for bigger kids too.

They do not fit small booster riders well IMO which isn't a big deal for me since my younger kids are harnessed until at least 6, longer if they don't gripe about it. ;)

christineka

I'm not convinced that you can trust the head support for any dedicated booster other than the oobr. Going with other boosters, there's the frontier, radians r100 and r120 , and the nautilus. I've contacted most of the booster companies about this issue. I'll let any info I get be known.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Okay how about one that is not 300.00 or close to it.

In all complete honesty I would use a Monterey without head support just as soon as I'd use most other boosters besides an Oobr. Just because it's against the manufacturer's instructions on a Monterey and not on, say, a Turbo, doesn't tell me anything because (A) Diono doesn't test for rear-impacts and they're not required to, (B) We don't know whether Graco et. al tests for rear-impacts or not, (C) Even if they did test, since there are no standards in place we wouldn't be able to know whether they passed/failed and the only way any meaning could be assigned would be if the boosters were tested comparatively and ranked.

So... I will always try to put a booster in a position with a head rest if I can, and if I can't, I'll just pick the booster that seems the sturdiest to me and make the parental decision to do the best I can with what I have to work with.

But then again I'm also a heretic who will occasionally allow a passenger to ride in the one lap belt / no head support spot in my Suburban if all other seating positions are taken.

Baylor

christineka said:
I'm not convinced that you can trust the head support for any dedicated booster other than the oobr. Going with other boosters, there's the frontier, radians r100 and r120 , and the nautilus. I've contacted most of the booster companies about this issue. I'll let any info I get be known.

I just looked at all the stickers on my Probooster and it says nothing about vehicle headrest. I did send an email asking for information.

I can not find my darn manual. I was reading it two weeks ago and have to figure out where I put it for safe keeping.

auto correct hates me

jjordan

So what if the vehicle didn't have latch or headrests? Would you still go with a oobr?

Personally I would probably *not* use an Oobr in a seating position without LATCH, because the booster itself weighs 18.5 pounds. If I'm going to use a booster that heavy, I want it to be LATCHed in.

Especially after reading the article jools posted above, I am not inclined to be super concerned about whiplash. So I would prefer a lighter high back booster in the situation you described, provided that the manufacturer does not explicitly require vehicle head support for the booster.

But that is my own personal opinion, and not my "tech" opinion. :) As a tech I will just say that any seat that is used correctly is a safe choice! :)

MommyShannon

I really like the nautilus as a booster. It seems very sturdy structurally though that's just my feeling. It's not super tall but pretty good. As long as the FR85 fits DD well as a booster too, I will probably use those two if I run into a headrest issue. Luckily, her ears are still below the nonmovable headrests in our Accord so I can use the TB still without wondering if it's really strong enough.
ETA: I do have latch everywhere she sits boostered though.

christineka

Interesting SRN article from a few years ago...scroll down to the boosters/whiplash part... http://www.saferidenews.com/srndnn/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=kb2736obx50=&tabid=58

(Sorry I didn't really have anything brilliant to add, I just remembered reading it and thought you guys might like it, too)

This is great news. Whiplash isn't a big deal for children. I'm thinking I may put my dd back in the third row. I liked having her there to buckle the little ones.

Baylor

MommyShannon said:
I really like the nautilus as a booster. It seems very sturdy structurally though that's just my feeling. It's not super tall but pretty good. As long as the FR85 fits DD well as a booster too, I will probably use those two if I run into a headrest issue. Luckily, her ears are still below the nonmovable headrests in our Accord so I can use the TB still without wondering if it's really strong enough.

Me too. Especially since it can be latched as a booster.

auto correct hates me

tiggercat

MommyShannon said:
ETA: I do have latch everywhere she sits boostered though.

I really want to like the Nauti as a booster, but the lapbelt is high on my 6 yr old. Otherwise, I think that would be my solution, as I have one in the basement, lol.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC