Can I ask a Bergan question (dog auto harness)

monstah

I ordered already but it's still shipping. I need to use it in the front seat and the buckle stalk is rigid, not a loop like Bergan suggests you clip onto.
I was thinking of two ways to secure him. One, buckle the seatbelt, lock it, and clip to the lap belt. Or two, I have an extra buckle from when I had a seatbelt replaced, the carabiner won't fit through the seatbelt slot but I could thread a D ring or clip a latch strap onto it. Both of these methods leave me open to him in a crash.

I'm trying to think of a way to protect me, the driver. Maybe if I McGuyver a strap through the seat bight and around the hinge closest to the door? I have extra LATCH straps and could probably do something that should hold up in a typical collision.

Bergan owners, suggestions??

ADS

monstah

Syllieann said:
I would just attach it to the lap portion of the seatbelt and lock the belt.

I think that's exactly what I will do but I'm pretty sure I'll get hit by him if we're in an impact that swings him around to the driver.

Syllieann

I think that's exactly what I will do but I'm pretty sure I'll get hit by him if we're in an impact that swings him around to the driver.

Maybe you should attach to the shoulder portion of the locked belt. That will allow you to keep the attachment strap much shorter while still allowing dog a little movement because the clip can slide along the shoulder portion.

monstah

Judi said:
What is the weight of the dog?

35 pounds fully grown. Thats why I was thinking about using a LATCH strap through the seat bight. He's easily under the weight limit.

monstah

Judi said:
I would have the seat as far back as possible and use the seat belt.

I'm not going to move the seat back very far because DD1 is FF behind it and all three kids pile into the car through her door. It might sound awful but my main goal is keeping everyone else safe. Not necessarily the dog. KWIM? But yeah, clipping onto the lap belt is definitely the easiest and probably what I'll do.

monstah

Well gee, I can probably hook the carabiner right onto the belt here.... LOL I didn't notice that loop before, I thought it was buried underneath that plastic covering.

View attachment 16185

Last edited:

monstah

It's perfect. A few days ago I checked out a video the company posted on you tube and I think it took me a matter of 3 minutes to have it perfectly fitted. Neat little harness. :)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC