Will you turn FF just because is 4?

lourdes

Will you turn a child FF just because it turn 4? When still fits RF and doesn't complain about it. I have to add that we have to reinstall the car seat at least 4 times per week or more because the only car that we have right now is from DH work and he can't have it install during his work hours.

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
If RF works for us until he's 4 I plan to give him a choice at that point. We will see how the next 2 years go. RF is still working very well for us right now.

skylinphoto

I turned my ds ffing at 4. I told him he could rf again if he wanted. He rf'd and ff'd on and off for the next 6 months and ultimately decided he wanted to ff all the time.

I turned my dd ffing at 4 because she was begging and pleading to ff.

I am content with my decision to give them the choice at 4. It gave my ds time to make peace with ffing (he doesn't like change) instead of being forced to ff when he got too big. And it made my dd quite happy (thrilled, jump for joy, cheer....lol).

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

penguingrooves

no. but then my almost-5-year-old is still RFing. she occasionally mentions that she wants a "big girl carseat" though, but that's rare we're fine with our arrangement for now, so we'll continue RFing. besides, she doesn't get a choice.

Last edited:

lourdes

For me is the same work if I install it RF or FF, she doesn't know that the Radian can be use FF, when we got it she was 3 y/o and FF so we told her that the Radian was a special seat for big girls and that big girls ride backward, I don't know if she remembers that, she hasn't ask to FF, we don't give her a choice when it comes to her safety.
My concern is that in August we will move to SC and the car that we will have doesn't have top tethers and until I can find I dealer that will do the retrofit she will need to stay RF so I am afraid that ones she rides FF in the Radian then it can be a hard battle going RF again, again she doesn't have a choice but it can be a pain in my brain.....

Phineasmama

I'm planning on turning DS FFing around his 4th birthday, maybe a little sooner. I'm kind of over it. Right now I have him RFing in the 3rd row of my van because if he's in the captains chair he and DD1 face each other and they fight and cry the WHOLE time and I just couldn't take it anymore. So I have to load him through the back, which is not a huge deal but kind of a PITA for me.

Syllieann

I would turn a 4 yo ff if rf was a huge inconvenience for the family. DS turns 4 on NYE and if he still fits I hope to keep him rf through the remainder of the winter before giving him a choice.

Brianna

If it works for you and her then I would leave her RF until she asks to FF.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

Brigala

CPST Instructor
For me is the same work if I install it RF or FF, she doesn't know that the Radian can be use FF, when we got it she was 3 y/o and FF so we told her that the Radian was a special seat for big girls and that big girls ride backward, I don't know if she remembers that, she hasn't ask to FF, we don't give her a choice when it comes to her safety.
My concern is that in August we will move to SC and the car that we will have doesn't have top tethers and until I can find I dealer that will do the retrofit she will need to stay RF so I am afraid that ones she rides FF in the Radian then it can be a hard battle going RF again, again she doesn't have a choice but it can be a pain in my brain.....

There is no harm in leaving her RF past age four. It sounds like you don't want to turn her FF, and she is still happy RF, and turning her FF now could cause issues for you later.

Given all that information, I would leave her RF. Don't fix something that isn't broken. :)

momtotwogirls

I would if she asked. When my oldest turned 4 I bought the FN85 but let her choose which seat she wanted until she outgrew all the rf seats we had which was around 4.5y, she rode mostly rf until she couldnt with spurts of about 2 weeks ff. My youngest however will probably fit rf closer to 5 and I already have the FN85 so if she asks then i will turn her but I wont tell her she can turn.

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
My son turned 4 last month, and he is not going to be FF for probably another year. As long as he fits RF, he will be RF. It's not really any harder for me to install his seat RF than FF, so my answer would not change if I had to constantly re-install his seat.

SignCuer

No.

My kids will be staying RFing until they don't fit and at least 4 years. They don't get a choice/say in this. However it's everyone to their own.

If she's not complaining.. (personal opinion, I would not give in even if they complain...my belief) don't turn her.

gsdguenter

Nope. My kids rf until they outgrow their seats, and that hasn't happened yet.

If they were unusually small and could rf until 6 or 7 then I'd give them a say, but now it's not an option.

I think DD1 will outgrow her seats (except the MT) in the next 6 months or so. She'll be 5 in August. Then, she'll just rf in the MT and ff or booster in every other car. She does ff on the school bus in her STAR.

Suzibeck

My youngest will be 4 tomorrow. She has ridden ff a handful of times over the last 3 months. She would like to go ff full time but I've told her not until she is 5. I figure she will likely be the only kid harnessed in Kindy I won't make her be rf too.

On a side note, she fits quite nicely in our Vivo, but much to her dismay, I won't let her ride in it.

My dd has asked to turn FF. I told her we'd talk about it again after her 4th birthday (early Sept). I'm kind of hoping she forgets about it by then.
So no, if she's not asking, I wouldn't turn her FF.

lanwenyi

Once DD turned 4, she got a choice. She is still rfing by choice.

I don't turn automatically at 4, but once a child is 4, I will turn them ffing IF they ask politely (whining won't work with me).

If your 4yo is content rfing and still fits in her seat, leave her rfing. If she starts asking to turn or starts complaining about pain, etc, then consider turning her.

lourdes

She will fit in the Radian RF until at least her 5 birthday, I don't feel comfortable with her FF I think because she was FF for 2 years because I didn't knew about the benefits of ERF, so I feel a little guilty about it, I also like what someone else said here, "if isn't broken, why fixing it" or something like that. Thanks to all of you, I needed the support!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC