BC Interior Tech Course?

callaroz

I'm in the Okanagan and have been waiting to hear back about any courses happening in my area. I haven't heard anything since September! Are there ever any tech courses here? I would love to get certified.

ADS

selinajean

I think there is, but I don't know when - I've messaged Selinajean because she will know!

There is one running in the Vancouver area at the end of April, but we haven't been able to confirm anything in the interior yet. Melissa has been trying to organize one in Kamloops but unfortunately there are very few people willing to commit to it. :/
Which town are you in?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
And I'm doing one June 1-3 in the Comox Valley on the island, should you require a reason to come this way!

callaroz

I'm in Penticton and would be able and willing to travel to Kelowna (one hour away). I know about at least 2 people in Penticton who would also be interested in taking the course.

melissainbc

I have been trying to organize a course in Kamloops but like Selina said, I can't get people to commit. I tried last year at about this time as well and not enough people got back to me. It is super duper frustrating :(

QuassEE

It's surprising, too. When we initially were trying to fill the course in Ladysmith, BC (think SMALL TOWN) I was actually quite concerned that we wouldn't have enough interest for a single course....and we actually ran TWO courses because the demand for the first course was more than I was comfortable teaching (I've only taught a handful of times, and I'm still learning as I go, so I wanted small classes).. And yet we can't get enough people to firm up for a single course in the Interior..?

-N.

callaroz

Oh what a bummer :( What is the minimum number of people you would need for a course? And what would the minimum cost be for the course? I'm in Penticton and besides myself, I know of 2 people who are 100% interested. I also mentioned it to my boyfriend last night and he would also be interested in taking the course. I belong to a pretty large local fb group of mothers, I'm sure I could find some more interest on there.

melissainbc

I believe we need at least 10 people. Trudy would be coming from Edmonton to teach so about $200 for the class to cover all of her costs.

I had 10 people lined up last time and they started dropping like flies about a month before the course was scheduled. I don't understand why it's so hard to find 10-12 people in a city of 85,000+ to take it, but it is. I totally spammed fb, faxed info the the fire dept, asked daycares, I had an email go out to every child related organization in Kamloops via another organization and it still didn't work out. I work and have 3 kids so I don't have time to go on a wild goose chase for participants :(

selinajean

If we could get an instructor and participants here in the month of May, I have an extra house where the instructor can stay (so no hotel cost) and there would be room for kids and spouse to come along if needed. The living room or deck could be used as the board room and there is a big flat driveway for cars and seats to be pulled apart. It's super short notice but just another idea.

callaroz

If we could get an instructor and participants here in the month of May, I have an extra house where the instructor can stay (so no hotel cost) and there would be room for kids and spouse to come along if needed. The living room or deck could be used as the board room and there is a big flat driveway for cars and seats to be pulled apart. It's super short notice but just another idea.

Where are you located? That would be so wonderful if something like that could work out :)

snowbird25ca

My problem is that my kids have school and hubby has to take time off work in order to do morning drop off. I'm doing a course in 2 weeks and that uses up the last of his holiday time until June.

The secondary issue is that teaching a class is very exhausting and at the end of the first day I truly need complete quiet and space to myself. When I'm at home for a course I actually hide in my room for a period after getting home just so I can have the calm to reflect on the day and what needs to happen going in to the next day. :eek:

At this point I'm thinking it's looking like fall before I could make the trip. I'm in the beginning of organizing a course for the city here for June sometime and usually people aren't available over the summer.

selinajean

Where are you located? That would be so wonderful if something like that could work out :)

I'm in Salmon Arm. We would have to hire a nanny for Trudy's kids though, and a boat so she could float off in the lake for relax time. hmmm...that isn't sounding too bad. ;)

I doubt it would work out...it was just a shot in the dark.

snowbird25ca

I'm in Salmon Arm. We would have to hire a nanny for Trudy's kids though, and a boat so she could float off in the lake for relax time. hmmm...that isn't sounding too bad. ;)

I doubt it would work out...it was just a shot in the dark.

LOL, yeah.

If all you guys wanting training can go and fill out an application for training on our website ( www.cpsac.ca ) then everyone's name is going to get combined for that area and it will let us track how many people are wanting to take training in that area. There are other instructors around besides me, so with enough interest it's possible that somebody could fly in to teach it.

selinajean

LOL, yeah.

If all you guys wanting training can go and fill out an application for training on our website ( www.cpsac.ca ) then everyone's name is going to get combined for that area and it will let us track how many people are wanting to take training in that area. There are other instructors around besides me, so with enough interest it's possible that somebody could fly in to teach it.

Is this going to be set up soon as a web form? (Even in google docs?) We have become so accustomed to the easy "fill it out and click send" forms that having to print, fill out, scan, and email an application back may be an obstacle for some. (Either because they don't have a printer/scanner or b/c they are like me and just keep forgetting to do it.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC