Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Infant insert cushion as toddler head support in Radian R120?

I vaguely remember reading that some people have used the infant insert as a toddler head pillow in the Radians. Is this okay? And if it is, are you using the round head part of the insert, or the wider flappy part? And how are you rigging it up so it stays?

So far my only complaint about the R120 vs the RXT is the lack of head support for my car sleeper. Otherwise, I love it.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Infant insert cushion as toddler head support in Radian R120?

I use the wide flappy part... it says in the manual that you can do that. They suggest tucking the ties into the cover to keep it in place, but that doesn't do a good job, so I actually route the ties through the spot where the instruction manual gets tied on and do a little knot there to hold it at just the right spot for my 2-yo.

ETA: I have the old version of that seat (80SL) but I imagine it would be the same.

Re: Infant insert cushion as toddler head support in Radian R120?

The old toddler body support pillow just had some fluffy pillows on the sides- no butt pad. I don't think the new infant insert can double as a head pillow anymore. Maybe you can find an old one? It has strings so you can just tie it to the top of the seat and it hangs in there.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

I wonder if they still sell it as an accessory? I bought one for one of our Radian 65's and it was called the comfy-fit. At the time is was identical to the padding that was included with the 80lb seat. I think I may have even seen the "comfy fit" recently at buy buy baby.
    I am using both parts now with my 9 month old baby, but have used just the wider "body" piece in the past with an older toddler. It was nice for car trips but he didn't always want it there. I tucked the tops of the straps into the top of the cover and that seemed to hold it since the straps were made of a grippy material similar to shelf liner. I would flip it up over the back of the seat if he didn't want it there.
    Ann, mom to 3 big brothers and a baby girl:
    DS1 - Aug 2006, 80 lb, 56", incognitos
    DS2 - May 2008, 77 lb, 51.5", Vivo or NBB
    DS3 - June 2011, 46 lb, 43", FF in FR85 or booster training
    DD - May 2015, 19 lb, 29", ) Snugride 30