Monterey needs vehicle support behind the headrest

jeminijad

I don't see a thread on this here, so I'll jump in.

I read the discussions on Facebook w/Allana Pinkerton regarding the Monterey- that the engineer has unequivocally stated that the booster requires vehicle seatback support behind the headrest, just like the Dorel boosters. That everyone has misinterpreted the manual.

So. What is going on here? This for me raised two issues:

1) After the superLATCH problems, and the Monterey belt guide issues, and the existence of a piece of foam that we are supposed to stick under our Radians to make them usable in more than a minority of cars... I think there is a lack of planning, R&D, something going on at SK/Diono.

2) How many other boosters really should have vehicle support, but the issue has never been picked up on in just the right way by a company rep? Someone on the FB thread mentioned how lightweight the Turbobooster and Evenflo boosters are compared to the Monterrey, and yet they are OK without support?

What other very tall options are there that can be used without anthing behind the booster headrest?

ETA: Actual text of manual/sticker in post 78.

Last edited:
ADS

thepote

Re: Monterrey needs vehicle support behind the headrest

Thanks for starting this thread. I was watching that discussion on fb like this :eek: yesterday and kept checking back here to see when the discussion would be picked up here.

Does anyone have links to rear end crash tests with high back boosters? I'd like to visualize what they are talking about if possible.

As for very tall options, Frontier.

ETA: Could you change the post title to "Monterey" (remove the extra R) so people searching will come up with this important bit of info :)

Last edited:

emandbri

Wow, this is very disconcerting. Luckily I've been using it with the headrest most of the time since I figured it wouldn't hurt to use it but I know there are times when I have used it without the headrest.

Baylor

What bothers me most as I read through all the discussion last night is I know how amazing the techs are here.

Not one of them caught this??? To me that is the fault of sk/diono. It is a dangerous negligent act if you ask me, to all of a sudden state that the seat needs head support when that is not clear at all in their manual.

If techs can not see it clearly , who read manuals all the time, what hope is there for parents to use this correctly???
Bad form.

I have a Probooster. I almost bought a Monterey. Glad I did not. I Would never by a product from this company. I just think they are a mess when it comes to customer safety and care.

auto correct hates me

Jessica61624

Baylor said:
What bothers me most as I read through all the discussion last night is I know how amazing the techs are here.

Not one of them caught this??? To me that is the fault of sk/diono. It is a dangerous negligent act if you ask me, to all of a sudden state that the seat needs head support when that is not clear at all in their manual.

If techs can not see it clearly , who read manuals all the time, what hope is there for parents to use this correctly???
Bad form.

I have a Probooster. I almost bought a Monterey. Glad I did not. I Would never by a product from this company. I just think they are a mess when it comes to customer safety and care.

auto correct hates me

I'll admit I didn't read the manual very well myself. I did ask here if it required head support and was told it doesn't. I nought it for a 9 year old in a car with no head support. I'm really upset about this. I don't have money to buy him another hbb. My mom and step dad already think its overkill but they entertain me and use it. He loves his seat too. With all the diono drama I am staying far, far away.

What bothers me most is the diono rep is on a Facebook group and that is how all of this information is getting relayed to us.

gigi

Yet ANOTHER reason I will never trust my kids in this company's seats. Holy crap. Even if it IS a misunderstanding, they are tolerating a rep running her mouth all over the internet on multiple issues, as they have tolerated other reps giving dangerous advice over the phone.

Ladyl

I'm mostly bothered by the fact that it seems like they outright ignoring the fact that needs to be brought to the attention to that larger public. Private Facebook pages are not an appropriate place to bring this up. I think a recall does need to take place, at least with revised manuals. I feel sort of iffy about the refund part. Really the only thing they are responsible for fixing, in this situation, is the information, not how we use it. But then again Disney gave refunds for their videos not turning babies into geniuses:rolleyes:, and this really much more serious.

tiggercat

I am pretty upset about this whole thing. I read the manual, and thought I was using the seat correctly. The manual specifically says you need vehicle head support in backless mode. The rest of the wording is ambiguous. I am going to look at stickers today.
Not only have I been misusing my daughter's seat, and it is now incompatible with my vehicle (sound familiar anyone??), but as a tech, I have removed headrests from plenty of vehicles in order to allow the backrest to lie flat against the vehicle seat. Now that is on my hands if ever a child is injured because of this.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

momtoo3

Could someone link the facebook discussion, please? I have diono liked on Facebook but haven't seen anything on this.

Kegracin

Could someone link the facebook discussion, please? I have diono liked on Facebook but haven't seen anything on this.

I believe this is from that private Facebook group...so if it was linked you would have to be a member to read it.

Phineasmama

It kind of makes sense to me that HBB should have vehicle head support behind them. But if the manual is ambiguous and nobody knows about this...not okay. I would be very angry if I were using a Monterey without support after being told it was okay!

Jessica61624

tiggercat said:
I am pretty upset about this whole thing. I read the manual, and thought I was using the seat correctly. The manual specifically says you need vehicle head support in backless mode. The rest of the wording is ambiguous. I am going to look at stickers today.
Not only have I been misusing my daughter's seat, and it is now incompatible with my vehicle (sound familiar anyone??), but as a tech, I have removed headrests from plenty of vehicles in order to allow the backrest to lie flat against the vehicle seat. Now that is on my hands if ever a child is injured because of this.

Can you or anyone who has a seat post pictures? Thank you!

tiggercat

Jessica61624 said:
Can you or anyone who has a seat post pictures? Thank you!

I have pics, but I am out of attachment space. Anyone know how to delete attachments on an iPod?

jess71903

Ambassador

It kind of makes sense to me that HBB should have vehicle head support behind them. But if the manual is ambiguous and nobody knows about this...not okay. I would be very angry if I were using a Monterey without support after being told it was okay!

But the whole reason some parents are told to get the tallest HBB that they can find is because they have vehicles with short seat backs, and they need that head restraint provided by a HBB. This is all very disturbing to me.

Mysweethoneybee

I currently have 3 of these booster seats. They are not compatible with any of my vehicles now. I have been using them for various kids for over a year. At this time I can't afford buy new boosters because I need them the height a Monterey will go. So I am basically stuck using them improperly for now. I could use them backless I suppose but in vehicles without headrests I have to tell myself it is safer to have the booster headrest than no headrest at all.

Jessica61624

tiggercat said:
I have pics, but I am out of attachment space. Anyone know how to delete attachments on an iPod?

Thank you! I seen them in the other thread.

Baylor

tiggercat said:

Yes. Just click little gray arrow at top of thread to take you to regular site go to user cp and edit attachments.

auto correct hates me

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC