Seriously thinking of turning DS3 around on his 3rd b-day.

zactayaus

Ok, go easy on me.:eek: My original goal was for ds3 to make it to 2yo RF and then I'd flip him FF but when he turned 2 I just couldn't bring myself to do it and he was happy so we just left well enough alone. I changed my goal to 3yo or if he outgrew his seats before then of course but then I thought well maybe we'll go even longer. He will be 3yo on the 20th. He has outgrown every single convertible seat out there by either height or weight except for the RN's which we have in both of our vehicles (therefore if we hadn't purchased those seats he'd already be FF). He has maybe an inch of torso growth to go and he'll have maxed out those too. Lately he has been begging to sit like Austin (ds2). He will quickly get in his seat backwards with his back against the vehicle seat and his feet into the back of his car seat and refuse to sit the right way. I always manage to wrestle him in the right way and explain to him why he needs to sit that way as best I can with an almost 3yo and he will usually calm down once the car is moving. The main thing is that I guess I'm kind of feeling done with RF too now.:eek: I'm not sure exactly what changed to make me feel that way but I do.:( I'm ready to turn him but I will definitely wait till his 3rd b-day so I can say he made it to 3 RF and who knows maybe I'll change my mind in the next couple of weeks.

Not sure why I felt the need to write this all out. Maybe I needed to get it off my chest. Maybe I need to hear that other people on here turned their kids before they outgrew their seats. Maybe I need somebody to tell me I'm doing the wrong thing and he really should stay RF and maybe I will or won't listen to them but at least I got it all out in the open.:eek:

Whew, I feel better already.:p

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I flipped my ds at age 3. Could he have stayed rf longer? Sure. 3 was my goal and I made it. He was doing the same. Begging to sit like his big sis, climbing into the seat and trying to sit the other way. If he hadn't, I may have left him rf but at age 3, I felt fine flipping him.

momtoo3

I turned ds3 for good when he was 3 yrs 2 months. He had about 1/2-1 inch of torso growth left in his MA70. He was having leg pain and we couldn't figure out why so I thought maybe it was because of being bent in his carseat since the Ma70 doesn't have a lot of leg room. I gave it a month and he was no better with FF but I didn't turn him back even though he fit. He was happier FF. There was a lot less drama with him than when he was RF which makes me a better driver.
I turned him in our truck the week he turned 3 because he asked, well actually demanded :p, so he could see the dvd player. It was purely for convienence. It made him quiet and that was what I wanted :eek: (we only use our truck for towing the camper, which usually means longer trips.) It made it so I didn't have to take my seatbelt off to hand him stuff. I was feeling really guilty because he had tons of room to grow in his TFP but the guilt *mostly* passed when we had a quiet trip.
He has been FF in dh's car since he turned 2 because dh couldn't deal with a RF seat hitting his shoulder while driving :rolleyes: and would constantly take the seat out and not tell me, which led to him having to reinstall it when he needed to get ds if I had to go anywhere. He cannot install a seat properly and has no desire to learn.

So I guess, I totally get wanting to turn him. If it what he wants, I would consider it especially since he doesn't have much growing room left anyways.

Phineasmama

My DS turned 3 in December and he's fine RFing but if he put up a huge fuss everysingletime I would probably turn him too :eek: It's already a giant pain getting 3 kids who all need help in and out of the car.

ETA: if he had just turned 2 and put up a fuss I would still keep him RF. But not at 3.

lovemybabies924

I had to turn my kids at all different ages for different reasons..i think if you make it to three thats awesome and you should do what feels right to you..u made it past 2 way to go!

featherhead

DD2 who turns 3 on Monday :D was turned FF back in November, cause that's how it worked best for our situation. I was a little uneasy at first. But I know she is still safe FF. She fits great in her FRXT :D

VoodooChile

Ds turned 3 last weekend and has been a major pain in the butt getting into his seat! If he keeps it up I might flip him too. Glad I'm not alone.

honeydew

My nanny child will be 3 at the end of June and she'll be turned FF in mine and her parent's cars. She's never ridden FF and we've surpassed my initial goal of RF for 2 years. I have no qualms whatsoever about a 3 year old FF.

momtotwogirls

I say do what you feel is right. My youngest turned 3 2 weeks ago and I havent considered turning her. She likes her seat, gets in easily and likes that she can see her sister. My goal is 4 though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Great job with how long he's RFed so far. :D I think 3 is an awesome milestone and you should be proud.

I'd turn him at 3 with no worries. :)

Lenae

You did great keeping him RF till 3. I turned DS FF at 3 years 3 months just because I could. He *still* fits RF in his original convertible, a classic MA, but I had to ship a seat to AK so I decided to just get a Nautilus and call it good.

You did awesome, especially with that long torsoed kid you've got!

zactayaus

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far. You guys have made me feel so much better.:)

And for those of you who didn't get rep from me yet I will have to distribute it out again tomorrow night as I'm out of rep for now. Sorry.:eek:

Holly

I'd turn him with no guilt too. My goal with Josh was 3. He turned 3 in February but we turned him in January. He was playing with his chest clip, sliding it down constantly. He stopped when we flipped him partly because he was distracted by new things to look at and partly because we could see him and stop him. He could RF in his radian for a long time still but I'm comfortable with him FF at 3 and I know he's still very safe that way.

Syllieann

I would turn ff at that age if it was that much struggle for everyone to continue rf. You did a great job and ff is still very, very safe for 3 yo w/ properly used seat. We all make little compromises every day to balance the ideal and reality. I'm currently beating myself up over dropping to part time breastfeeding my 14month old instead of patting myself on the back for making it past 1 yr. You should be patting yourself on the back too.

Baylor

Aw you did great!!! I think for most parents 2 is awesome and that should be their flat goal. Anything after that is awesome. Yet I know it can be a pain for most parents in smaller cars , with big kids and crazy lives.

I think you are an amazing mom and tech. This kid is well protected and will be safe and well protected with you looking out for him :)

Great job!!!

auto correct hates me

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
DS is still RF, and my new goal is 4, but I'm not tied to it at all... That said, DS willingly climbs into his seat, and buckles his chest clip. Also, he's way bigger than my DS, right? Definitely, since I was looking at your summer swap thread for stuff for him...

Anyway, if our boys were swapped, and I had the giant one and you had the little one, I'm SURE you'd be saying the same thing. You did a good job, Mama. Don't beat yourself up.

tiggercat

I think you did amazing keeping that big kiddo RF to 3! No guilt allowed!
Sam is much smaller, and I am already debating with myself how long until I can turn him, lol. I won't do it for a while, but I can't see maxing out the RN either, he might well be in grade school by then.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC