Help me think clearly!

jjordan

Okay, here's the situation. We just got an 08 Sedona and we are keeping our 97 Subaru Legacy station wagon. It is not *essential* to have a seat for each kid in each vehicle, but it would be nice.

Right now the 3 across in the Subaru involves an infant seat, which I will not be using much longer.

Aside from the infant seat, we have 5 seats:
2 Britax Boulevards (original)
2 Radians
1 Recaro Prosport

We have 3 kids:
baby (RF)
almost-4 yo (about 33#, RF, but okay turning him, and it will happen sooner or later regardless)
almost-6 yo (about 40#)

I definitely want to keep the 6 yo harnessed in the Subaru. Right now we have one RF BV and the Prosport there, not *sure* if the other BV would fit. For sure a radian would fit, in either direction.

For the Sedona, I'm not really sure what seating arrangement I want. I can get 3 across the back with one RF Radian, one FF Radian, and pretty much ANY other seat. But not sure if I could get 3 across without using two radians (due to the 60/40 split and the way the seatbelts are set up).

So. When the baby moves out of the infant seat, I'll need to get something else if I want a complete set of seats for each car. Thoughts? Whenever I try to think this through, I get all confused!

Incidentally, we did go to Buy Buy Baby today and the 6 yo told me she wants a Frontier in livia. Not sure I really want to spend $200 on a harnessed seat for a 6 yo... A Parkway in livia would probably make her just as happy!

ADS

Phineasmama

Why do you want to do 3 across in the Sedona?

Right now in my van ('10 caravan) I have DS RFing in the 3rd row alone, we load him through the back and I have the smaller portion of the bench stowed to make it easier to get in and out. Then DD is FFing in a Livia Frontier passenger captains chair, and baby DD is RFing in a RXT drivers side captains chair. When DS goes FFing I plan on putting the oldest in the 3rd row since she can buckle herself, and put DS in the captains chair instead so I can buckle him in and the baby will stay where she is.

Oh and my RXTs are plum and cobalt, so it's all matchy because those and the Livia all have the black velour on the sides and the solid colors :)

jjordan

Yeah, that's part of what I'm trying to figure out... how much do I want to have 3 across capabilities in the Sedona. I guess just so that I have more flexibility? For example if my in-laws were going to go somewhere with us, neither one of them would realistically be able to fit in the back with two car seats (even Radians). I don't know that I'd have 3 across the back as the permanent set-up.

That is the kind of question that I need people to ask me, so that I can clarify my own thinking! Thanks! :)

Phineasmama

Ah I see what you mean! I was actually just thinking about that the other day, since my mom and brother are going to be visiting next weekend and we could all technically fit in the van. I'm kind of scared to try putting more than one seat in the third row though :p The seat belts are so weird and right now I just have DS's RXT latched back there so it's super easy to install. And I only have one tether anchor back there, not sure how many the Sedona has!

MommyShannon

Here's what we do for our 3. I have back up seats for all our kids (2, 4, 6), but we never have done 3 across in DH's car. The kids only ride in it when we are dividing them up (DH going somewhere with older two mostly). That makes it easy to put whichever seats we need in the car and leave the 3 regular seats in the van. We have a 7 seater Ody. I have found it easiest to put the youngest kids in the captain's chairs and dd in a booster 3rd row with 2 adults when ILs visit. If I'm going to be in the back, I've put her in a Harmony literider and then there is plenty of room on either side of her. I don't feel ok that she will sit right without me there so then a use a TB outboard for her with ILs beside her. Normally she's either in a nautilus as a booster or FR85 harnessed but they take up much more room. I don't know what the Sedona has. Our van has lap/shoulder belts and adjustable headrests in all spots so we can put adults and boosters anywhere.
ETA: I didn't really answer your question about what to get. I just know I struggled with how to arrange seats. DD is often the only on in the 3rd row so it is much easier to switch out her seat and not touch the other two.

jjordan

Thanks! Maybe we'll let it rest a bit and see what, if any, seat we feel like we need. It may be that we don't really need 3 across in the Subaru now that we have the van. I'm sort of itching to buy a seat ;), but on the other hand - we'll probably do just fine with what we have for a while, anyway. So I guess the "wait and see" approach is probably best.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC