Infant only vs. RF convertible for infant

jawynn

I am expecting my 3rd child. DS#1 and DS#2 are both bigger kids, so I am guessing DD will be also. As infants my boys both used a Graco SafeSeat Infant only carseat. Despite having the 30lb. weight limit on the carseat, the carseat w/ baby became too heavy for me to transport in and out of the car.

This time around, I was thinking of skipping the infant only carseat and going for a convertible carseat (like Britax Boulevard Advocate 70 or Boulevard 70).

Is an infant only carseat any safer than a convertible carseat for a newborn/infant?

ADS

Ninetales

There's no difference in safety provided the infant fits the convertible properly. Many claim they're rated from 5 lbs but weight isn't the only factor - the harness needs to be low enough that it is at or below the baby's shoulders.

The Britax will need a separately sold insert to fit a newborn.

Ninetales

Other options that fit newborns are the Maxi Cosi Pria, Diono Radian, Graco Myride 65, Cosco Scenera, and Combi Cocorro. I'm not familiar with the Evenflo line so I don't know about those.

Keep in mind that some seats take up a lot of front to back space when reclined for a newborn, so if you have a small car, tall front seat passengers, advanced airbags, etc, that can be a factor.

henrietta

Another option if you want the ease of the infant seat in the early days is to use it, taking it in or out when you want, and when it's too heavy to carry baby in it--just leave it in the car, same as you would a convertible carseat. I wore my babies a lot, and I still found the convenience of the carrier nice (pouring down rain, would rather wait till inside to get baby out, that kind of thing...)

henrietta

Rebelnicky04

We do both an infant seat and a convertible in our van because well mommy has a car seat addiction :eek: but I have learned that my daughter LOVES riding in her CCO (convertible) because she can see so much better out the window and around her surroundings then when she is down in the bucket. So most of the time I keep her in the CCO in the car and if we are going out to eat or something I will put the bucket in the trunk and take her in the restaurant in it but not necessarily using it as a car seat... basically just keeping her out of a yucky restaurant high chair or buggy. I also learned that when I'm shopping it is so nice to park next to a buggy return especially when I'm by myself then I don't have to lug around that heavy infant seat w/ my chunky girl in it. I can just set it on a cart and in the store we go. Anyways good luck with whatever you decide. I do highly recommend the CCO though for infants- I absolutely LOVE the way it fits in the car and fits my baby.

mommabear81

My newborns have fit well in the Combi Coccoro (doesn't last long RF or FF for a convertible), Radians, and the My Ride 65. I have not tried other seats but just wanted to mention that those have worked well for me. If I have #3 I will go straight to convertible and skip the infant seat all together. I personally feel it is a waste of money for the short time they get used.

karina250

I planned to skip the infant bucket with DD. She was tiny when she was born though and then lost some weight. I had to borrow an infant bucket from a friend because I had a MyRide for her and she was under the minimum weight limit of 5 lbs. After she was consistently weight at 5lbs I moved her to the MyRide and she fit very well

I know other posters have already mentioned the MyRide but I wanted to add in my experience because I had a small baby (well she is still a little peanut) but it fit her very well. I really think the MyRide fits newbies really well.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I planning on starting with an infant seat. We are due in August. We don't have a garage. The car is often cold when we get in. We live in Iowa. I will be making 3 trips to school a day and be walking kids into the building each time. Our baby is due the first week of school. We have 4 older kids who are also in sports and such, so we are on the go a lot. I do baby wear but that doesn't always work. And for the quick in and outs at school the infant seat will be great.

We are getting an onboard35 because our kids outgrew the snugride20 between 4-6m. We have big babies. That would only get me to dec- feb. That would leave me needing a new seat during the cold.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC