Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question Infant only vs. RF convertible for infant

I am expecting my 3rd child. DS#1 and DS#2 are both bigger kids, so I am guessing DD will be also. As infants my boys both used a Graco SafeSeat Infant only carseat. Despite having the 30lb. weight limit on the carseat, the carseat w/ baby became too heavy for me to transport in and out of the car.

This time around, I was thinking of skipping the infant only carseat and going for a convertible carseat (like Britax Boulevard Advocate 70 or Boulevard 70).

Is an infant only carseat any safer than a convertible carseat for a newborn/infant?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

There's no difference in safety provided the infant fits the convertible properly. Many claim they're rated from 5 lbs but weight isn't the only factor - the harness needs to be low enough that it is at or below the baby's shoulders.

The Britax will need a separately sold insert to fit a newborn.

Other options that fit newborns are the Maxi Cosi Pria, Diono Radian, Graco Myride 65, Cosco Scenera, and Combi Cocorro. I'm not familiar with the Evenflo line so I don't know about those.

Keep in mind that some seats take up a lot of front to back space when reclined for a newborn, so if you have a small car, tall front seat passengers, advanced airbags, etc, that can be a factor.

Re: Infant only vs. RF convertible for infant

Yes, the Evenflo Momentum65 and Triumph65 should both fit a newborn.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

CPS Technician

Another option if you want the ease of the infant seat in the early days is to use it, taking it in or out when you want, and when it's too heavy to carry baby in it--just leave it in the car, same as you would a convertible carseat. I wore my babies a lot, and I still found the convenience of the carrier nice (pouring down rain, would rather wait till inside to get baby out, that kind of thing...)

henrietta
    henrietta
    former CPST & Mom extraordinaire of 2 rowdy little boys & 1 spunky girl toddler, among hundreds of other skills!
    #1, age 9.5, Harmony Literider or Transit backless booster, occasional Safety First Incognito
    #2, age 6.5, Cybex Xfit booster/Harmony folding travel booster/Evenflo hbb
    #3 age 15 months, Britax Advocate CT/Combi Cocorro

7. Thank You from:

We do both an infant seat and a convertible in our van because well mommy has a car seat addiction but I have learned that my daughter LOVES riding in her CCO (convertible) because she can see so much better out the window and around her surroundings then when she is down in the bucket. So most of the time I keep her in the CCO in the car and if we are going out to eat or something I will put the bucket in the trunk and take her in the restaurant in it but not necessarily using it as a car seat... basically just keeping her out of a yucky restaurant high chair or buggy. I also learned that when I'm shopping it is so nice to park next to a buggy return especially when I'm by myself then I don't have to lug around that heavy infant seat w/ my chunky girl in it. I can just set it on a cart and in the store we go. Anyways good luck with whatever you decide. I do highly recommend the CCO though for infants- I absolutely LOVE the way it fits in the car and fits my baby.
    Nicky- Mommy to Addison Grace 12/10/11
    Brylee Harper 12/3/13
    Caroline Faith 11/13/14
    Delaney Hope 11/13/14

CPS Technician
    Also, the truefit fits newborns great.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

Oh yes, forgot that one.

My newborns have fit well in the Combi Coccoro (doesn't last long RF or FF for a convertible), Radians, and the My Ride 65. I have not tried other seats but just wanted to mention that those have worked well for me. If I have #3 I will go straight to convertible and skip the infant seat all together. I personally feel it is a waste of money for the short time they get used.

Carseat Crazy

I planned to skip the infant bucket with DD. She was tiny when she was born though and then lost some weight. I had to borrow an infant bucket from a friend because I had a MyRide for her and she was under the minimum weight limit of 5 lbs. After she was consistently weight at 5lbs I moved her to the MyRide and she fit very well

I know other posters have already mentioned the MyRide but I wanted to add in my experience because I had a small baby (well she is still a little peanut) but it fit her very well. I really think the MyRide fits newbies really well.

CPS Technician
    I planning on starting with an infant seat. We are due in August. We don't have a garage. The car is often cold when we get in. We live in Iowa. I will be making 3 trips to school a day and be walking kids into the building each time. Our baby is due the first week of school. We have 4 older kids who are also in sports and such, so we are on the go a lot. I do baby wear but that doesn't always work. And for the quick in and outs at school the infant seat will be great.

We are getting an onboard35 because our kids outgrew the snugride20 between 4-6m. We have big babies. That would only get me to dec- feb. That would leave me needing a new seat during the cold.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)