Question Are there any that aren't expired?

PunkyMonkey

Guy at my work has a 2 year old in a FF convertible with one of those shield things with the arms that goes down over in front of the kid like in a roller coaster! I wanted to take a pic but his windows are really tinted. I thought those were all expired... My cousin had one when he was a little and he's 16 now!

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse autocorrects!

ADS

lourdes

If this seats are not safe why they don't do a recall so that people can change them for a safe car seat???

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
They passed all the tests they need to pass. Companies rarely issue recalls just because there's a better product out there.

lourdes

Better and safe is not the same, I have read here and in other car seat related sites that those car seats are not safe. Is the same thing about the 3-1 car seats, if they made deadly boosters then why do they keep making them?

mamajava

Senior Community Member
I would use one all over again. Bella was ff in an eveno tribute ohs, she should have been RF but I didn't know better. We rolled our truck 3 times going 70 MPH. She came out with no scratches or bruises.

canadiangie

I would use one all over again. Bella was ff in an eveno tribute ohs, she should have been RF but I didn't know better. We rolled our truck 3 times going 70 MPH. She came out with no scratches or bruises.

There is an entire generation of kids who rode in OHS seats. Obviously not all of those children involved in collisions experienced a poor outcome. But the reality is kids don't benefit by having a hard piece of plastic covered with thin foam and fabric in front of their heads. Having a true 5 point harness that offers harness webbing along the strongest points of a child's body is more protective than what a OHS design offers. An OHS is classified as a 5 point harness, but the combined issues of head injury, and the gap of space between the child's hips and the bolster make me pretty nervous.

Just an FYI for anyone out there reading. :)

soygurl

The fact of the matter is, from the statistics I've looked at, the majority of children who are killed in motor vehicle crashes are completely unrestrained, or in a seatbelt alone at a very young age. Even "less-safe" car seats still save lives. SafER is better of course, and technology is always improving, but federal crash test standards don't change frequently. :shrug-shoulders:

PunkyMonkey

Thanks everyone... I guess I won't go bother him about it because chances are that I'm wrong and it's one of the last ones as I know he had his first son in beginning of 2008.

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse autocorrects!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If you're able to bring it up in casual conversation, I would just mention that they don't make those types of seats any more because the ones with a 5-point harness are so much safer.

And then I'd leave it at that unless he asks for more information.

lourdes

What I did with one of the parents from my day care that had the same car seat was this, I told her "you know what? I found out the other day that car seats expire" just with you will start a great conversation about car seat safety without being "pushy" (not sure if that's the right spelling)

mamajava

Senior Community Member
I know there are safer things out there now, I was just saying if they were still made, I would use one.

There is an entire generation of kids who rode in OHS seats. Obviously not all of those children involved in collisions experienced a poor outcome. But the reality is kids don't benefit by having a hard piece of plastic covered with thin foam and fabric in front of their heads. Having a true 5 point harness that offers harness webbing along the strongest points of a child's body is more protective than what a OHS design offers. An OHS is classified as a 5 point harness, but the combined issues of head injury, and the gap of space between the child's hips and the bolster make me pretty nervous.

Just an FYI for anyone out there reading. :)

soygurl

I know there are safer things out there now, I was just saying if they were still made, I would use one.

Assuming that isn't a typo, would you mind sharing why? Not being snarky... I'm sincerely curious. :scratcheshead:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC