Is 3rd Row Seating Safe?

dayyy

We are unexpectedly expecting child #3. I got my Toyota Highlander thinking that the 3rd row seating was just going to be used occasionally for carpooling or having a friend over. I'm sorry if this is common knowledge, but is it even safe to have my almost 6 year old riding back there all the time once the baby is born? It seems like anyone sitting in the 3rd row is very vulnerable in a rear end crash. She's in a TurboBooster, the toddler is in a RF True Fit Premier, and I have a Graco SnugRide for #3. I can't see how they would all fit together in the 2nd row. Is it better to get suggestions for a whole new series of car seats so everyone can be squeezed safely into the 2nd row?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
A child in the center of the third row may be safer than a child outboard in the second row. For that matter, a kid in any position in the third row may be safer than any kid in the second row.

Rear-end collisions tend to be very low speed and are rarely fatal. Frontal collisions are the most common, and side collisions are the most deadly.

Being in the third row puts you farther from the point of impact in a frontal collision, and being in the center of the third row puts you farther than the outboard position in a side impact.

This is a good article on the matter: http://carseatblog.com/91/the-third-row-is-it-safe-for-kids/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC