Attempt to overturn CA's child restraint law

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
A California assemblyman has introduced a bill that would revert the state's new restraint law (8/4'9"/belt fits properly) to the old law (6 or 60). http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/Bills/AB_2585/20112012/

Apparently the assemblyman held a contest for his constituents to determine what existing law he should try to overturn, and this was the "winner."

If anyone in California would like to voice an opinion, the bill is AB 2585, and it's sponsored by Brian Nestande. http://arc.asm.ca.gov/member/64/ Contact your assembly representative, too.

ADS

babyherder

Seriously?!?!?!?!?!?!? With everything that is going on in the world, all the problems, all the good that could be done and people are using time and resources to make children less safe???? :mad:

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That pisses me off. It's not about politics; it's about kids' lives.

Why would anyone want to revert that? Apparently he didn't do his research.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The old law still included proper belt fit, though the wording wasn't as defined. This (which is stupid) wouldn't change that, would it? In fact I don't see it changing the part of the law that defines a "properly fitted" belt so we'd still have the new definition of properly fitted? So... it not only is dumb, it's kind of pointless from a technical legal standpoint other than allowing them in the front seat (although of course parents would hear 6 or 60 and throw the boosters back away...)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
ketchupqueen said:
The old law still included proper belt fit, though the wording wasn't as defined. This (which is stupid) wouldn't change that, would it? In fact I don't see it changing the part of the law that defines a "properly fitted" belt so we'd still have the new definition of properly fitted? So... it not only is dumb, it's kind of pointless from a technical legal standpoint other than allowing them in the front seat (although of course parents would hear 6 or 60 and throw the boosters back away...)

Yeah, the "proper" clause in the old law was a bit ambiguous. It doesn't look like this would change the definition in the current law, which is good, but like you said, no one pays attention to (or even knows) that part.

I'm hoping this is just political grandstanding and it goes nowhere. Still stupid, though.

And I *do* understand both the politics and objection to the new law. I don't like the government telling me what to do with my kids. But when it comes to a clear-cut safety issue, the state needs to set boundaries that parents wouldn't otherwise follow because the kids don't have a choice.

I wrote to Nestande and my rep and told them as much.

Reactions: Kac

Athena

So sad. This politician could be using his time to do some good, but apparently he's decided to make kids less safe instead. :thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC