Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

VanIsleMommy

airbag deployment while car is off?

any way to know if an airbag will deploy in a car that is off if it is hit? checked my manual and couldn't find anything, googled it and came up with yes and no answers....

reason I ask is because I often nurse sitting in the front while parked since the back has car seats.

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: airbag deployment while car is off?

Thanks for posting this question, I was just wondering this yesterday! I was sitting in the front seat nursing DD in the Target parking lot and realized she was just inches from where an airbag would deploy if someone hit us.

Yes they will, unless the battery is disconnected and has been disconnected for several minutes.

Remember that it still takes a pretty violent crash to trigger airbag deployment and that type of crash is much less likely to happen any time you are parked. About the only way I can see someone hitting you hard enough would be if you were parked on the side of the street and someone came barreling down the road. A typical parking lot, nobody has enough speed.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Your passenger airbag only deploy if you are in a frontal crash, within 30* from the center line (so straight on or slightly offset). If you're parked in a parking lot, that's not going to happen.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Moderator - CPS Technician

The lead instructor of my CPST class was very cautious about active airbags, to the extent where he said that kids should NEVER be in the front seat of the vehicle, even while the car was turned off and in no danger of being in a collision, because there was a risk that the airbag could deploy and injure the child. So take that FWIW. I don't know if there are actually any cases of accidental deployment.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    There have been cases of accidental deployment, although I don't know of any when the car was off.

VanIsleMommy

Hmm good to know!!! Thank you!