Does anyone HAVE a securekid?

Phineasmama

Just wondering...I see that it has a higher weight limit than the Maestro. Is it as narrow? I need to get DD a different seat for the CRV now, and I'm not sure if I should get her another Frontier or not. I was thinking 2 securekids or a securekid and a maestro (for 3yo DS) because I don't like how the radian installs FFing in the middle position.

Any pics? :cool:

ADS

djma

I don't have any hands on experience, but I was pretty unimpressed with the headrest. I sat DD in one at BBB and it pushed her head out significantly. Now, she was on the bottom slots and the headrest was as low as it could be, so i don't know how it would be when it's raised.

cpsaddict

I have the 400. It is narrow. IMO, narrower than the Nautilus. It's nicely padded, the head wings are pretty substantial and it installed nicely. My favorite part is that the crotch is longer and set our farther than the Nauti. We paid $120 and I think it was a good value for the money. The fancy LATCH connectors are pretty nice. :)

Maggie

Jeni and I played with one at Baby Depot the other day. It's looks narrower than the Nautilus. However, the headrest sticks out so far from the back of the seat, my dd hated it. It sticks out way more than the Nauti.

Phineasmama

That sounds not too awesome, I hate sticky outy headrests! I guess I will have to go find one so I can play with it. I heard they have them at Baby Depot.

Maggie

That's so strange that they stick out the same amount. It appears to be out much further and my dd was so much more uncomfortable in it than the Nauti.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I wonder if it is a difference in the seat pan. The thing is, the Foonf sticks out as well. Chris had a good point. We use pillows. We don't like our heads being back, why should kids?

Now, if the child complains, then of course.

cpsaddict

We have three different kids using it and so far no complaints on the headrest. Two of the three sleep in it and have no head slump. The other does not sleep in the car. The kid who rides in it the most usually rides in a Frontier and loves the Secure Kid. The Nautilus feels more substantial, but that crotch strap was the total deal breaker for us on it, since my two nephews complain about their Marathons squishing them. There is just no way the Nautilus would work.

cookie123

I got the SK 400 rather than the Frontier 85 because I figured I'd be doing 3 across in my Prius. At first I didn't like it. I ended up liking the Sure Latch a lot. It works well - my latches are deep in the seat bite. Matthew doesn't complain. Except that he can't see out the window. I guess the Prius windows must be kind of high or something. I tried the GN, which does seems higher, but it didn't really make a difference and I had to give it to his mom for their truck. He doesn't sleep in my car, so I don't know about head slump.

So in summary. It's fine, but not amazing!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I think the Nauti may have a bit more recline to the actual seat. The SK400 shell is quite upright and does not have a recline feature. Add that with a head rest that sticks out and it's really forward. We have stuck our SK400 in a vehicle that is rarely used and never slept in. I like how the SK400 installs. It's a nice looking seat, easy to use. But I hate hate hate hate hate hate the head wings. We got wicked head slump even in a vehicle with seats that recline. And now I get to find out how easy it is to wash since DD puked in it this weekend. :(

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I wonder if it is a difference in the seat pan. The thing is, the Foonf sticks out as well. Chris had a good point. We use pillows. We don't like our heads being back, why should kids?

The head rests in my car are angled forward and there is no way in H*LL you can sleep in them. It's fine if you are awake...but if you try to put your head back to snooze, it puts you at a very uncomfortable angle with your chin pushed down. I would imagine a child with head slump would be much the same way. Not something I would want to do, that's for sure.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
A friend of mine has it. It works well in the 3 across she currently has in her Vue next to a RF Scenera. I'm not sure what we're going to do when her TF comes in, I doubt they're going to puzzle well.

kam1011

I have a 400 for my 3.5yo. It's in a three across in my Malibu. It is a little smaller than the Nautilus, but when I had them side by side the other day, they're not THAT much different in external size. I hate the continuous harness. I have to use the seatbelt install to do a three across and it's actually really difficult to install in my car. It's one of those where I climb in and my DH has to help pull it tighter. I can't get it tight enough by myself (and I don't usually have that problem). The Sure Latch is nice and I bought the 400 so that I could use the cool new latches when I get my van any day now, but I recently realized my kid's almost 40 pounds anyway. :( I'm not sure which kids you were intending for the seat, but I saw one of your kids is 5yo...I would test before you buy. The harness is very short and my 5yo can get buckled into it but not breathe, so you may not get much use out of it. I do have tons and tons of pics of all my kids in it (just for fun) if there is something specific you're looking for. I'm at my picture limit and I don't really know what to do about that lol.

Phineasmama

Well if it has a continuous harness that pretty much rules out this seat for me because that would drive me absolutely nuts!!
I think after this spring semester is over we should (hopefully) not have to do 3 across in the CRV anymore. DH will be dropping her off at school in the mornings next fall while I take the younger two, so I can probably just put another frontier in there at that point.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC