Question Third row top tether retrofit - Chrysler minivan - part number 05015403AA

eitingon

I have read all there is to read (I think) about adding top tethers for the outboard third row seats in a Chrysler Town and Country / Dodge Caravan / VW Routan (with part number 05015403AA). IT is annoying only having the one top tether in the 3rd row and I would like to add the outboard tethers.

My question is as follows: can this be done with the power folding third row seat?

Thanks!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hello. Unfortunately if your vehicle has factory tethers already, you cannot add tethers to it as there are no pre-drilled holes in which to add them. You may be able to find a shop that does conversions for the handicapped that can safely add one, but it may be easier to shift kiddos around to keep the forward-facing kids in tethered spots if you can. Basically, once tethers are added at the factory, that's it. We don't know which other spots in the vehicle are structurally strong enough to handle the crash forces to install another one.

Threeiscompany

I understand the rules. But my next question is why do people have this part installed in their vehicles by the actual dealership? And not coercing the dealership to do it either. I know someone who has this part installed. They approached the dealership and talked extensively with the dealer and Chrysler corporate and everyone gave the go ahead. The idea for the install was from Chrysler and they installed it. They used their own Mopar part which is one they approved for retrofitting car seat tethers.

Granted this was a few years ago, and they discontinued the part. But they never called saying “hey we installed the part and we longer think it’s safe so you need to come back and we undo it”. This is the same part used in the exact same capacity as what Chrysler signed off on.

jjordan

It looks like you are in Canada. Since top tether anchors are required for ff harnessed seats in Canada, the Canadian arm of Chrysler might have developed some sort of process for additional tether anchor installations in certain situations. I’ve never heard of it legitimately happening in the US (i.e. a company making an exception to their stated policy regarding tether anchors).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There is an exception for 02-07 T&C/Caravan/Grand Caravans that are NOT split bench or Stow & Go. (Page 56 of the current LATCH Manual for CPSTs interested.) "Since these vehicles are post MY 00 and have factory-installed TAS as required by FMVSS 225, the owner bears the expense for parts and installation."

It can only be done with standard, non Stow N Go seats.

(Honda also allowed additional anchors to be installed in MY 00-04 for the Odyssey.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC