Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Third row top tether retrofit - Chrysler minivan - part number 05015403AA

I have read all there is to read (I think) about adding top tethers for the outboard third row seats in a Chrysler Town and Country / Dodge Caravan / VW Routan (with part number 05015403AA). IT is annoying only having the one top tether in the 3rd row and I would like to add the outboard tethers.

My question is as follows: can this be done with the power folding third row seat?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Third row top tether retrofit - Chrysler minivan - part number 05015403AA

Did anyone happen to have an answer for this question? I know it's old but I'm now asking the same thing.

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

Hello. Unfortunately if your vehicle has factory tethers already, you cannot add tethers to it as there are no pre-drilled holes in which to add them. You may be able to find a shop that does conversions for the handicapped that can safely add one, but it may be easier to shift kiddos around to keep the forward-facing kids in tethered spots if you can. Basically, once tethers are added at the factory, that's it. We don't know which other spots in the vehicle are structurally strong enough to handle the crash forces to install another one.

I understand the rules. But my next question is why do people have this part installed in their vehicles by the actual dealership? And not coercing the dealership to do it either. I know someone who has this part installed. They approached the dealership and talked extensively with the dealer and Chrysler corporate and everyone gave the go ahead. The idea for the install was from Chrysler and they installed it. They used their own Mopar part which is one they approved for retrofitting car seat tethers.

Granted this was a few years ago, and they discontinued the part. But they never called saying “hey we installed the part and we longer think it’s safe so you need to come back and we undo it”. This is the same part used in the exact same capacity as what Chrysler signed off on.

Moderator - CPS Technician

It looks like you are in Canada. Since top tether anchors are required for ff harnessed seats in Canada, the Canadian arm of Chrysler might have developed some sort of process for additional tether anchor installations in certain situations. I’ve never heard of it legitimately happening in the US (i.e. a company making an exception to their stated policy regarding tether anchors).
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

7. Thank You from:

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

There is an exception for 02-07 T&C/Caravan/Grand Caravans that are NOT split bench or Stow & Go. (Page 56 of the current LATCH Manual for CPSTs interested.) "Since these vehicles are post MY 00 and have factory-installed TAS as required by FMVSS 225, the owner bears the expense for parts and installation."

It can only be done with standard, non Stow N Go seats.

(Honda also allowed additional anchors to be installed in MY 00-04 for the Odyssey.)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

9. Thank You from: