Question Booster Seats "SAFER" than HARNESSED SEATS FOR "BIGGER KIDS"?

2boys3girls

It's been a while since I've been on this site, but a few months back I am "pretty sure" I read "information" on this. DUE TO LOAD or STRAIN ON THE NECK, IT *might be considered* SAFER for bigger kids to ride in a BOOSTER SEAT (HB or LB) with a SHOULDER BELT (of course, as if there would be any other way). Reason why, because when in a 5pt harness (FF) the body of the child is "secured" in the seat by the harness straps, and the child's head would move forward upon impact, possibly putting strain or "load" on the child's next. Whereas, in a booster seat, UPON IMPACT, the child's entire "upper body" moves forward with the shoulder belt.

I hope I've explained this correctly. does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Anyway, could someone please provide more info on this. Maybe give me a link to a previous thread, or ? thank you very much! :)

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
The fact is, there is no study or information either way. The argument is that it COULD BE safer for a big kid to ride in a booster over a harness for the reason you described, but we just don't know.

Baylor

I think that the longer that hwh are used the more information we will have.

A booster is only as safe as the child riding in it. If the child is not 100% of the time in proper position it's not even as safe as a hwh.

For me the jury is out on this one. Another 5 yrs I think we will have much more information.

auto correct hates me

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
One of our Swedish posters asserts this statement, but there is no study in English anywhere to prove it. They use a measurement different from any we have in the US. Given the amount of belt stretch in both the LATCH and harness systems, the crash tests appear to allow a good deal of forward body movement with the head, anyway, so for me it's not much of a concern (head striking the vehicle interior, such as the front seat back, is the largest source of major injury, and harnesses protect better against that when used properly).
So yeah, nothing definitive, all kind of speculative... in any case, boosters are statistically safe for kids 4-7, and there's no evidence that harnesses are unsafe for kids who fit in the larger harnessed seats, so I'd say the jury is still out (I swear I wrote that without reading Baylor's post entirely, lol).

Brigala

CPST Instructor
At this point since we have no proof it's really a matter of opinion.

My opinion is that a 5 point harness (properly used) is safer than a 3-point belt at any age. I have no proof of this. My opinion is that the limited data we have which suggests that neither one is safer than the other for kids of a certain age and size (basically, average-sized 5 year olds and up) is that the rate of serious mis-use in this age group may be higher with 5-point harnesses and that may negate the safety advantages. Likewise, I think a fair portion of the data that indicates a harness is safer for a younger child is that the rate of serious mis-use of a booster is higher in the younger set (because the child has to be responsible for proper use - case in point the 3 year old in Florida that was recently ejected and killed and the mother was not aware that the seat belt had been unfastened).

Logically, if neck loads were a serious concern, one would think that a smaller/younger child would be safer with less restraint (booster) and an older/bigger child would be safer with more restraint (harness) because (A) the bigger child is taller and more likely to strike a head on something with forward movement and (B) Both the neck strength and size of the body in relationship to the head increase as the child gets older.

Of course all this is simply hypothesizing on my part. I don't have the means to actually test any of this.

2boys3girls

Thank you for the responses. I *do* remember it was someone from Europe or "?" ..... Personally, I "feel" better/safer with my kids Rear facing as long as possible, and in a 5 pt harness as long as possible, in seats that are installed properly. :)

ETA: Just noticed my siggie is way "out of date".... lol

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
To our knowledge, as long as a child meets the limits of the booster and sits properly every ride, they are just as safe in a properly used harness or a booster.

I don't believe there are studies to prove this.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC