LATCH-installed seat--keeping seat belt away from ds

VoodooChile

Okay, so ds is in a rf Radian and has never touched the seat belt until this weekend--he was sort of kicking it with his foot (I don't think he could reach it before--he's had a growth spurt recently). So yeah, I need to get that away from him. I prefer a LATCH install ;I *could* install with the seat belt but it makes me feel stabby. So do I just buckle and lock the seat belt, then install the Radian? Or is the belt then in the way? I don't see a way to route it behind the vehicle seat back b/c he's on the 60 portion of a 60/40 seat (2006 Honda Pilot)--he cannot go on the 40 part b/c I can't brace over there. So do I just buckle/lock the belt and install the car seat? And (just for future reference) is it the same for a rf and a ff seat?
Thanks!

ADS

creideamh

Yes. I buckle, install with LATCH, then lock so it doesn't tighten first and the belt/buckle stalk don't end up in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

aeormsby

I would try buckling & locking the seatbelt before installing the Radian. If it doesn't interfere with the install I think that's the best way to keep it from getting played with.

It's usually not an issue with FF seats, I think it's mostly RF'ing kids that can reach them.

featherhead

I would try buckling & locking the seatbelt before installing the Radian. If it doesn't interfere with the install I think that's the best way to keep it from getting played with.

It's usually not an issue with FF seats, I think it's mostly RF'ing kids that can reach them.

Not true. My nephew when he was 4 or so and FF started playing with the seatbelt. I think it was installed with the seatbelt, but the belt had a locking latchplate rather than retractor.

creideamh

Yup, I checked a Nauti a month or so ago where they had the seat using the locking latchplate but routed the shoulder belt behind the seat (captain's chair) because she kept messing with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC