Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

HBB for an average 8 YO?

DS rode in his harmony on the past trip we took because I needed him in the middle of his sisters so I could fold down the back seats of my van to take a bunch of crap home to my siblings.

Anyway, on the way back, the seats were back up and he sat in the back and was MISERABLE. He kept complaining "MOOOOOM! There is no where for me to put my head!" "My back hurts!" "My bum hurts" "I need my brown seat!"

He usually rides in a PWSG, but now that he's outgrown the turbobooster (barely) it's been in DH's car. DH's car does not have side curtain airbags in the back and I feel it's important for him to have that extra protection.

As evidence of the past 2 weeks since our trip, moving the seat back and forth is a hassle I'd rather not bother with, so I'm considering getting him another HBB.

Which are taller like the PWSG? Any great deals out there?
    Mama to DS:10/03-Harmony Transit, DD 1/06 Parkway, DD2 4/10- Nextfit/frontier DD3 7/13- Pria

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy
    While I don't like the belt falling out of the upper belt guide on my vehicle, my dd who is 8 and I would say avg size loves the Monterey. Has plenty of growing room. We didn't use the seat for a few weeks trying a nbb and when she sat it in again she asked if she could put it in the van and use it.

Amanda
    Mommy to:Grace, Kate, and Claire

Re: HBB for an average 8 YO?

Well, DS1 is a short 9 year old (barely 53") with a long torso and the only HBBs left out there that he still fits in are the PWSG/L (he's on the last adjustment with about an inch and a half left to grow) and the FR85 in booster mode. I suspect he'll still fit in the KWP in booster mode, but with not much, or any, growing room left. And the KWP is $279 (and appears to have fluctuating - good/bad - belt fits on kids in booster mode).

So, I'd just get another PWSG/L.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

Senior Community Member mommaon112903's Avatar

My son is a shrimp at 48" and 47lbs but has a LONG torso. We have a Recaro ProBooster and he still has two or three clicks left in it. We also have a Monterey in storage but it doesn't fit him as well as the PB does. I do not like the PSG/PSGL as I like "beefy" boosters.
    Crystal, SAHM to J age 8yrs11months/49.25"/55lbs/Blue Opal Recaro ProBoosterand Orange OSPKWY

Quote Originally Posted by mommaon112903 View Post
    My son is a shrimp at 48" and 47lbs but has a LONG torso. We have a Recaro ProBooster and he still has two or three clicks left in it. We also have a Monterey in storage but it doesn't fit him as well as the PB does. I do not like the PSG/PSGL as I like "beefy" boosters.
    DD is 7 1/2 years old and 49.5" tall and is on the last adjustment in the ProBooster and Monterey with no growing room left. That's a lotta torso.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Maybe look for a good deal on a Frontier? Even the 80 if you can get it with cheap shipping and don't need it for too many years, my kids aren't tall in the torso, but that 24" belt guide is hard to beat... http://carseatblog.com/5671/too-old-...ster-says-who/

Here it was next to our PW... https://picasaweb.google.com/1049718...31667757735378
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Senior Community Member mommaon112903's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clov878 View Post
    DD is 7 1/2 years old and 49.5" tall and is on the last adjustment in the ProBooster and Monterey with no growing room left. That's a lotta torso.
    My son is 8.4yrs, so a shrimp at his current height and weight but his torso just kills us! I couldn't imagine a 7.6yr old with that much torso though! I bet it is fun finding shirts that fit, huh?
    Crystal, SAHM to J age 8yrs11months/49.25"/55lbs/Blue Opal Recaro ProBoosterand Orange OSPKWY