HBB & 3 across in an Impala?

laurengt

I've got 2 RN XTSLs and need a HBB for my nephew added in there. One RN for sure will be RF (for DS) and I'm going to put the other RF too unless SIL has an issue with it.

The Impala has a pretty wide back seat so I don't imagine having many problems but thought I'd ask. It's a 2007 with LATCH in all 3 positions and also shoulder belts in all 3 positions.

Also, suggestions on placement of seats in the vehicle are welcome.

The nephew is 7 yrs old but small. About 44" and maybe 45 pounds (his mom doesn't know his weight and I'm bad at guessing, sorry).

ADS

christineka

I think this was the vehicle that had the super long thread about getting hbbs in an impala. I think the turbobooster was the one that ended up working.

laurengt

christineka said:
I think this was the vehicle that had the super long thread about getting hbbs in an impala. I think the turbobooster was the one that ended up working.

Thanks, I'll try a search again on my Mac later. Sometimes my phone gets quirky with the search, for whatever reason. :0)

HaileysMommy

3 across will be easy with 2 radians. You can probably put either the FF or RF Radian beside the booster and be fine but you'll have more room for buckling if you put the RF Radian in the middle.

laurengt

HaileysMommy said:
I thought it was the BK that fit..oh and the Oobr.

Looks like the oobr, turbo, or BK. I'll probably get the BK since I was told by others on here that the BK does 3 across well with 2 RNs in an Escape too (my other vehicle).

Thanks!

laurengt

Question: is the Amp the same as the Big Kid or are they different? Some places show them as separate names and others as "big kid amp".

djma

Do you have an angle adjuster for the radians? I was unable to get an acceptable install of my XT (when I had it) rearfacing. It was completely over-reclined.

I have an 03 impala. I do not have the same headrest issues in mine, so I am no help there. :p

laurengt

djma said:
Do you have an angle adjuster for the radians? I was unable to get an acceptable install of my XT (when I had it) rearfacing. It was completely over-reclined.

I have an 03 impala. I do not have the same headrest issues in mine, so I am no help there. :p

I do have AAs for both RNs. I am in love with the install I get in our cars with the AA. :0) There is so much room!

laurengt

Photos added!

Tonight I finally got down to business working on the 3 across in our '07 impala -- had no choice since we will be transporting our 2 nephews with us this weekend. :0)

32cc6d76.jpg

a50743c7.jpg

RN XTSL w/AA -- outboard passenger side
RN XTSL (no AA) -- middle
EF Big Kid Amp -- outboard driver side

It was more difficult that I thought it was going to be but I had fun figuring it out. :0) Thanks to all the threads I've read on here I had ideas I how to troubleshoot issues that arose.

The RNs are both installed with LATCH. I could not get them installed both with the AA and next to each other though; not without excessive smoothing into each other. I probably could have gotten them both installed with the AAs had I used the belt for the OB passenger RN, BUT DH will at one point this weekend have to uninstall that seat and move it to my parents car and then back to ours (DS has outgrown the seat RF that my folks have and I haven't gotten another RN yet for them). DH is not comfortable putting in seats (I've shown him how, but he prefers not to do it) and I don't want him to have to mess with the added challenge of a seatbelt install if I can find a LATCH install to work for him.
The Amp would not fit I the middle because the seatbelt stalks are short and rigid and prohibited it from sitting back properly.
DH will have to pull the Amp out to get the seat buckled and then slide it back into place (a move of about 3") when nephew is secured in. I showed him how to do it and he's comfortable with it.

I used DS as a demo and couldn't believe that anyone would put a child that small into that seat. At 27 months, DS fits the height and weight minimums for the Amp -- yikes!

Last edited:

love-pink

Great 3 across! :D

My problem is my kids have 17+ inch torsos and the hbb needs to be adjusted taller than what you have it. The wings of the hbb then hit the side panel of the car :/ The only solution I've found is to use lbbs.

Cath3114

Where are the pics? I bought a 10 Impala in October and it's likely I'll still have it when DD is ready to booster.

Edit - they're not showing up on the app on my phone for some reason.

laurengt

Cath3114 said:
Where are the pics? I bought a 10 Impala in October and it's likely I'll still have it when DD is ready to booster.

Edit - they're not showing up on the app on my phone for some reason.

They don't show up on the thread listing on mine either but if you open the individual post it shows them. IDK what's up with it tonight -- I've never had this issue with pics before. (sorry)

laurengt

Looks like they're showing up here now.

a50743c7.jpg

32cc6d76.jpg

RN XTSL w/AA -- outboard passenger side
RN XTSL (no AA) -- middle
EF Big Kid Amp -- outboard driver side

It was more difficult that I thought it was going to be but I had fun figuring it out. :0) Thanks to all the threads I've read on here I had ideas I how to troubleshoot issues that arose.

The RNs are both installed with LATCH. I could not get them installed both with the AA and next to each other though; not without excessive smoothing into each other. I probably could have gotten them both installed with the AAs had I used the belt for the OB passenger RN, BUT DH will at one point this weekend have to uninstall that seat and move it to my parents car and then back to ours (DS has outgrown the seat RF that my folks have and I haven't gotten another RN yet for them). DH is not comfortable putting in seats (I've shown him how, but he prefers not to do it) and I don't want him to have to mess with the added challenge of a seatbelt install if I can find a LATCH install to work for him.
The Amp would not fit I the middle because the seatbelt stalks are short and rigid and prohibited it from sitting back properly.
DH will have to pull the Amp out to get the seat buckled and then slide it back into place (a move of about 3") when nephew is secured in. I showed him how to do it and he's comfortable with it.

I used DS as a demo and couldn't believe that anyone would put a child that small into that seat. At 27 months, DS fits the height and weight minimums for the Amp -- yikes!

laurengt

Cath3114 said:
I see them now. Thanks! I'm glad to see a Radian in an Impala. That's our next seat.

The set up we have makes it possible for the driver and front passenger to have ample leg room. DH is about 5'11" and I'm 5'9". I tried the RN without the AA behind the passenger seat and I could barely get in with the recline on the RN. God bless the AA! :0)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC