I am amazed at the number of you who....

Mommypooh

had to move their infant out of the bucket due to weight or height before they were a year old. I must have some really small babies. LOL. I have always been told my babies are small but I guess i never realized it. My daughter still fit in her bucket at around 15-16 months. my son still fit in his at 13 months or so. I had moved them to convertables by that time since I didn't use the bucket anymore but I could always use the bucket for emergencies.

I am just amazed at how much of a issue this is. Watch now that I have said this my new baby will out grow the bucket at 3 months old or something. LOL. I just wondered if I am the only one who has little babies.

ADS

Tiffanie

Careful you may have just cursed yourself! lol I have a friend who's kid never even fit in a newborn carrier the day she was born...she was nearly 13 lbs and 24" long but she was all torso and couldn't fit. lol

Mama2J

You're right, don't speak too soon! Safety-wise, it's probably good to have smaller babies, as they can rf and harness longer!

I moved Justin to a convertible seat around 6 months, just because I wanted to buy a new seat and was no longer using the infant seat to carry him (too heavy!). But he would have lasted until around 9 months for weight, which was when he got to 20 pounds. If I had a 22-pound seat, he would have lasted until just under a year for weight.

MomToEliEm

The seats made today are bigger then the seats I was using when my first daughter was born. I think if I had a newer seat, I might have made it to 1 year in an infant seat, but probably not since my daughters are tall.

I actually like that most infant seats get outgrown prior to 1 year old as that forces most parents to buy convertable seats and use them rear facing. At that point, a tech can try to convince them to keep them rear facing past 1 year of age. If a child outgrows a seat at 1 year old, a parent will be more tempted to buy a combination seat that can only be forward facing and it will be very hard for a tech to convince them to buy a new seat to rear face longer.

Mama2J

I actually like that most infant seats get outgrown prior to 1 year old as that forces most parents to buy convertable seats and use them rear facing. At that point, a tech can try to convince them to keep them rear facing past 1 year of age. If a child outgrows a seat at 1 year old, a parent will be more tempted to buy a combination seat that can only be forward facing and it will be very hard for a tech to convince them to buy a new seat to rear face longer.

That can also backfire though. Some people think that once the baby outgrows the infant seat or reaches 20 pounds (even less than one year old), they can be ff. I've known people that have done this.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Seats made today are definitely bigger. Both Aiden and Mikkel were in 26" height limit seats, they both outgrew them at 5 months and 6 months respectively (by height - they both only weighed 12lbs at the time).

Mikkel was in the 20lb, 26" model snugride. My good friend had the 22lb, 29" model snugride and he would have been out of that one at 10 months. We tried Mikkel in an SS1 (30lbs, 32") at 22 months and he just barely still fit... so seats are definitely getting bigger. ;)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
My two youngest both fit the 20# Snug Ride until around 13-15 months, and the Fisher Price Safe Embrace infant ntil around 18 months. I tried to convince Ex to let me buy the Cosco designer 35 when DD2 was born because DS still fit into it at 2 yrs, but he wouldn't go for it. I personally stopped using the infant seats for every day as soon as they fit into a RA. I hate carrying infants seats around, so I just put the SR in Ex's car for him to deal with. The FPSEi was for back up.

My kiddoes weren't really tiny, but they are short torsoed. DS is even with the top slots on the MA and DD2 is even with second to top slots on the Radian.

Kimberly

Mommypooh

I don't remember exactly what seat my daughter had as it was my brothers when he was an infant. Not it was not expired my brother is now only 7 and my daughter now is only 4. so not too much time had passed. Hers was a century I remember and was able to be used until 22 lbs. my son is in a Graco Snug Ride which is 22 lbs.

My daughter was only 17 lbs at a year old but she was born 7lbs 14 oz.

My son was 18 lbs at a year and was born at 9 lbs 3 oz.

elle7715

We moved DD out of her 20 lb/26 inch limit Snugride when she was 9 months old but I think she would have fit in it until she was at least 15 months old. She wouldn't have hit the weight limit until she was almost 2. DS is almost too big for the same seat and he's almost 6 months old.
A common misconception is that once babies outgrow their infant seat it's time to put them in a forward facing seat. A lot of moms leave their babies stuffed into the infant seats until they're almost a year old because they think that's what rear facing means. I've answered quite a few questions on mamasource.com about this. One mom wanted to go right from the infant seat to a booster at one year :eek:. Others think I'm forcing my 2.5 year old to ride in an infant carrier because she's still rear facing!

all together ooky

My DD outgrew the old 20lb, 26" snugride at 6 months due to height. I'm sure she would have fit the newer, bigger infant seats much longer.

Tiffanie

I had long kiddos. I'm hoping maybe I can convince my SIL who has a SS1 to let me borrow it if she's no longer using it by the time my DD2 is out of her Snugride. :D I can dream at least right? lol That's just in case my DD1 hasn't reached the 33 lb limit for her MA RF to go into the Regent.

Melizerd

I have a son who's in the 90-95 percentile for height. He was definitely too tall for his infant seat. I moved him at 4 months, I think he would have made it another month or 6 weeks.

Not that it surprises me or anything, his daddy is 6'4", My brother 6'5", BIL 6'4", one of my grandpas was 6'6". I'm not sort either at 5'8".

He JUST hit the 20lbs mark at 7 months.

ThreeBeans

Bean the Second outgrew her Graco Snugride (old model) by height at 6 months. She's 17 (almost 18 months) now and JUST hit 20 lbs :p

InTheWoods

Both my kids were 20 lbs. at one year of age. We don't have big kids, and even though they're in the 50th percentile for height, they're short compared to the majority of kids around here. So much so, that people underestimate DS's age by two years sometimes.

I have seen some huge babies and pretty squishy toddlers. My kids tend to have tight buns from an early age. ;)

Synchro246

You're right, don't speak too soon! Safety-wise, it's probably good to have smaller babies, as they can rf and harness longer!

Yeah. I'm irritated that my just barely a two year old HAD to turn FF.
We had a RA from birth :)o I didn't know that it wouldn't fit well then). He would have outgrown a bucket by weight at 3 months though. For baby #2 I bought the SS1 because of this issue. He's 2mo & 16lb.
It's annoying on many levels. (he's outgrowing his 3-6mo clothes as we speak, he's in more expensive size 2 diaps--litterally ONE day he fit size ones in the morning and by evening I had to pop open a package of size twos. It was crazy. My back hurts)

Shaunam

DS was 18 lbs and 26" at 3 months. I didn't realize the 26" limit on his snugride wasn't set in stone, so I moved him immediately, but looking back at pics, his head was darn close to the top. He hit the 20 lbs limit by 4 months.

I was looking at DH's baby book and it said he was 19 lbs and 26" at a year. I can't even imagine! That seems so small to me! But I really, really wouldn't mind a petite kid this time around. They are easier to fit in car seats and easier on your back too. :p

jn__

both of my kids were nearly 9 lbs at birth, but then slowed down a lot! My daughter still technically fit in the snugride 2 when my son was born - she was 17 months old. She had enough room over her head and was definitely under 22 lbs. (she wasn't even 22 lbs till the end of her 2nd year hehe) She was 9 months old before she *finally* was tall enough for me to put her in the roundabout. (I wanted her out of the bucket becuase ours was a 3pt I inherited from someone I trust, but I didn't know much about seats then and thought the 3pt was fine. This was back when it seemed like there were a lot more 3pts and 5pt was just a newer thing.)

My son, I don't remember when I switched him, but he was at least 6 months old. He was always taller in the torso though... he was in the higher set of slots on the snugride2 at 2 months old. (my daughter never even made it out of the first set when I moved her! hehe.. she had 1/4" before I said screw it, I'm doing it.)

Just watch, the one I'm currently gestating will be some kind of monstrosity.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well, I never used a bucket, and can't remember length measurements offhand, but I know that dd was 20 pounds at 3.5 months and 22 at 4 months, so if we had had a seat with a 20/22 pound limit, she would have weighted out by 3.5-4 months. As it was, she weighted out of her 30 lb RF convertible seat by 9 months.

ThreeBeans

Well, I never used a bucket, and can't remember length measurements offhand, but I know that dd was 20 pounds at 3.5 months and 22 at 4 months, so if we had had a seat with a 20/22 pound limit, she would have weighted out by 3.5-4 months. As it was, she weighted out of her 30 lb RF convertible seat by 9 months.

Now that is one well-fed baby :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC