Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPST Instructor

Regent install question

I feel like I should really know the answer to this . I am moving dd#4 to the regent this weekend. She is 38.5 lbs (yesterday at the dr office). Would you do a long belt or short belt? I am thinking just do the short belt, so I am not worrying and weighing her constantly, but WWYD?
    Jess, CPST and mom to 6 girls
    W(7/28) is rocking an Aton, S(3) rides in a Nextfit or RXT, O(6) has a Frontier 90, the big girls (9, 11) have Monterey Boosters and incognitos, and the oldest is 15, wears a seat belt and is driving!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Regent install question

Quote Originally Posted by J-max View Post
    I feel like I should really know the answer to this . I am moving dd#4 to the regent this weekend. She is 38.5 lbs (yesterday at the dr office). Would you do a long belt or short belt? I am thinking just do the short belt, so I am not worrying and weighing her constantly, but WWYD?
    Well....my instructions (for an '09, I think...) say to use LBP until 40 lbs, switching to SBP at 40 lbs. I don't remember if the advisory had anything to do w/that and/or for what years...

I understand not wanting to weigh her over and over...and if she's gaining fast....I remember the reason for the change having to do with HIC (numbers are lower for smaller kids using the LBP than SBP).

Not much help, am I?

I'm still irritated that I had to move ds1 out of the Regent he still fits in b/c it doesn't install in my car using the SBP.

henrietta
    henrietta
    former CPST & Mom extraordinaire of 2 rowdy little boys & 1 spunky girl toddler, among hundreds of other skills!
    #1, age 9.5, Harmony Literider or Transit backless booster, occasional Safety First Incognito
    #2, age 6.5, Cybex Xfit booster/Harmony folding travel booster/Evenflo hbb
    #3 age 15 months, Britax Advocate CT/Combi Cocorro

Carseat Crazy

At the doctor's office did she have all the clothes and shoes she would normally wear in the car? If not those might put her at the 40lbs mark. Otherwise I don't know what to tell you. As a parent in your situation I would probably have done sbp, but technically that is wrong.

Carseat Crazy

I have such trouble with SBP installations that I took to weighing the kid almost daily to keep her LBP as long as possible. That was honestly less work than getting the Regent installed SBP where I wanted it and I avoid moving at all costs now.
    2018 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda5, and 2001 Toyota Echo (we drive 'em forever)
    Kids aged 15-6, but none driving yet. Well, only golf carts.