Vans with built in carseats

Tiffanie

My friend has to rent a van because her's just went into service and they leave for vacation tomorrow morning which was already prepaid. So they are renting a Toyota Sienna that has the carseats built in. Now I'll be honest, the seats she is using now for her kids have LONG time expired and are not installed at all or near correctly so I'm already thinking it can't be any worse right?

I didn't even know they still made vans with the seats built in them? Is that actually really safe?

ADS

ThreeBeans

They're definitely safer than improperly installed expired seats.

Not ideal as they generally arent' adjustable and have no side impact protection, but again, better than nothing (or expired crud)

MomToEliEm

I used a built in harness in our minivan rental car last year. It harnessed to 50 pounds which surprised me (read the manual to see what weight limit they go to as they might vary). Since I had only brought a backless booster for use, I made a decision to use the harness over the backless booster.

It wasn't the greatest thing to use. The harness was hard to tighten, and it was awkward for my daughter to get her legs comfortable since they basically just stuck straight out (she sat indian style most of the time).

Tiffanie

"crud" is an understatement with her seats. I love her, she's a great friend, but sometimes I want to shake and say "would you just listen to me!" *sigh*

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
My friend has to rent a van because her's just went into service and they leave for vacation tomorrow morning which was already prepaid. So they are renting a Toyota Sienna that has the carseats built in. Now I'll be honest, the seats she is using now for her kids have LONG time expired and are not installed at all or near correctly so I'm already thinking it can't be any worse right?

I didn't even know they still made vans with the seats built in them? Is that actually really safe?

I don't believe the built-in seats were ever an option in the Sienna? :confused: I think they're available in Chrysler/Dodge/GM minivans, not certain about Fords, but not in Siennas. :scratcheshead:

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Yeah, I don't remember built-in seats being an option on the Sienna, either.

Regardless, the cons to built-in seats are:
- They don't rear face.
- They don't tend to fit smaller kids as well as a convertible seat.
- They can't be moved to another vehicle or even to another seating position within the same vehicle.
- They don't provide sleep support.

OTOH, you know it's properly "installed", and they usually have a higher weight limit than 40 lb. They have *tall* harness "slots", so they fit older children nicely. They're always there.

Tiffanie

She could have gotten the name of the van mixed up. I'll know for sure tomorrow morning when it pulls up in front of her house :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC