Need advice for purchasing a carseat for a special needs child

froggygirl

My daughter is currently in a Cosco Alpha Omega carseat and it is expiring in a few months. I have looked at the Graco Smart Seat but it doesn't fit her like I thought it would. She is only 34# and about 45 inches and MUST be reclined AND in a harness for support reasons. I was looking at the Safety 1st Alpha Elite but saw poor reviews about it so it scared me away. Any advice?

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Hi and welcome!

The Alpha Elite is basically just like your Alpha Omega. I'll let the special needs techs chime in on the rest. It might be a good idea at this point to pursue a special needs seat for her positioning needs.

Jan06twinmom

Welcome to car-seat.org!

How old is your DD? Can you tell us about your DD medical conditions and what the prognosis is for her development over the next couple of years? I agree with the pp that you might need to look at a special needs seat for her, but there might be some options that will work for shorter term.

Melanie

froggygirl

Hi and thank you for the warm welcome!

My daughter is 11. She hasn't grown much in many years. She has severe scoliosis making the recline feature very important. The special needs carseats such as the Britax Traveller does not recline and most others are made for larger kids. My daughter is about the size of a 3 year. I believe a commercially available carseat is the way to go. I'm finding the Britax Boulevard 70, Safety 1st Alpha omega, Graco Smart Seat or the evenflo symphony 65 MAYBE the way to go, but just need others advice. The headrest on the Graco Smart Seat tips her head forward so her chin is touching her chest. The Evenflo harness straps don't impress me. The Safety 1st poor safety issues concern me. I definitely would like a carseat that doesn't require reharnessing to adjust the height. Thank you so much for your time and suggestions!

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Graco My Ride? It's very reclined in forward-facing mode (Shaunum I think is using or used it for her daughter, if I'm not mistaken).

Shaunam

I would see if she still fits height wise into a Graco my ride. The recline forward facing is just awesome. My DD was close to outgrowing it so I sold it and got the Britax traveller, which, you are right, is not terribly supportive. It's ok if you can get the right angle. Because it's such a beast of a seat and at the moment I need to move it in and out of the car a lot, I bought a safety 1st complete air and it is a pretty good seat, support wise, and a little taller than the my ride, but I had to technically break one of the install rules to get it to recline enough for her.

If you do end up needing to get a SN seat, try the Merritt Roosevelt.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Thanks, Shauna, it looks like we cross-posted almost!

OP, if you check out Shauna's blog link in her signature, there are photos of her daughter Charlie in both seats (the My Ride and the Complete Air).

I'm not sure about scoliosis, but I worry a little bit about the padding in the Complete Air not being comfortable - I know it's pretty thin through the back of the seat. That may or may not be an issue, just something to think about/check.

Jan06twinmom

I was also thinking that the Graco MyRide might be a good forward-facing option.

Would it be possible to put your daughter in a rear-facing convertible? I'm just thinking that it is easier to put many seats more reclined in the rear-facing position.

Is the Britax Frontier an option? I'm not sure how much it reclines and if it will offer the support your daughter needs. One of my friends is going with the Frontier for her SN twins who have CP and will need to be in a harness for a long time. One of the selling points for her is the longevity of the seat.

Melanie

froggygirl

Thank you for all the suggestions! I don't think the BF will recline enough. She has been FF for so many years putting her RF would scare her. Do you know which 5 point harness carseat has the greatest seated shoulder height? Britax looks like 16.75 seated shoulder height, but other mfgs don't easily give that info.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Thank you for all the suggestions! I don't think the BF will recline enough. She has been FF for so many years putting her RF would scare her. Do you know which 5 point harness carseat has the greatest seated shoulder height? Britax looks like 16.75 seated shoulder height, but other mfgs don't easily give that info.

I'm not sure which seat you're referring to. The Frontier has the highest harness slots on the market, but I don't think it has the recline you're looking for; it's a pretty upright seat.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Does her scholiosis cause her shoulders to be different heights? If so, you will want a seat witth a continual harness, meaning, it slides side to side at the hips, or one side of the harness will be too tight. Maybe the First Years Trufit?

cmm7

I would check the First Years TrueFit. It is not reclined as much as the MyRide, but it does have enough natural recline that a kiddo who I worked with and needed a lot of support was comfortable in it. It also has a continuous harness which made it easier to get a good fit on this kiddo who was beginning to have differences in shoulder heights.

jess71903

Ambassador
The True Fit has 17.5" top slots. The MyRide is about like the Marathon at 16.5 or so, I think the Evenflo Triumph 65 is 17". The Frontier is 19.5" (or is it 20"? I can never remember). The Graco Nautilus/Argos is 18.5", as is the Recaro ProSport.

henrietta

Chiming in late here...but is she actually 45" tall? B/c that's the size of a 5 yr old, not a 3 year old. My 3 yr old is BIG and he's 39" tall and 36 lbs. My 6.5 yr old isn't that big and he's 46" tall and 44 lbs.

I'm wondering if a Recaro Como/Signo may work for her--the harness height is nice and tall and I've heard it has a good recline and support forward facing (one other mom/tech on the boards really liked it for her dd w/low tone). BUT it does sit up high, so it may be a problem to lift her into it. The Graco My Ride may have the same problem, though, as it's sides are wide/deep. The top slots are taller than the MR though.

My other thought was the True Fit also, or the new Maxi Cosi Pria, or the Safety First Complete Air (which while similar to her AO and familiar to her, is taller and will last her a lot longer than her current seat).

Best wishes to you~

henrietta

christineka

The true fit recline and premier can be reclined in the forward facing position. (I read the manual recently.) I know my true fit premier is very reclined when in the recline position. It's a great, tall seat, easy to install, and can have the harness height adjusted while installed. It's good for 7 years as well.

bethng

Two of my special needs students are now riding in britax frontier 85's. They both need extra support and this seat seems to fit the bill for them. Neither have had any head slump issues. And it will last you longer then any seat on the market (except a special needs seat that is). It might be worth trying out in your car before making a decision. I even use one in my classroom for a very very disabled boy so that he can sit with us during circle time. He has SEVERE scoliosis. Very twisted and his body...boy I cant even explain it. But the seat is great for him in circle time. He is 11 years old. Still fits just fine. (not that the harness position matters in the classroom lol). Takes two of us to get him in the right position but it works!

froggygirl

Hi everyone! Thank you all for your suggestions. After HOURS of research and several trips to our nearest (50 miles away)Toys R Us I decided on the Alpha Elite 65. It is a 3in1 car seat. RF 5-40lbs, FF 22-65lbs, Booster 40-100lbs. Height 19"-52" (which is 2" more than typical car seats) 17" highest harness slots (which is awesome!) 3 position recline, 3 crotch slots and the LATCH system (but I used the car seat belt since I was installing it in a 1996 Ford Taurus) It also has support cushions for the head and lateral area. I am very pleased with my decision. It installed easily and isn't overly big. The armrests also flip up out of the way. I will be using this car seat FF with the 5 point harness system in the middle recline position. Hope this helps any other family looking for a carseat for their special needs child. This car seat is replacing an expired Cosco Alpha Omega seat, which has served us well! (basically the same, but new one has improvements to adjusting the harness and more comfy padding)

froggygirl

Update: My daughter is 32# and 47" tall.(dr appt last week) But a seated shoulder height about 14.5" severe scoliosis, Trisomy 4 and 8, contractures of her knees and legs among other issues. I guess I was comparing her to my son at the age of 3. He is now 16 and stands 6' 5"

henrietta

Hi everyone! Thank you all for your suggestions. After HOURS of research and several trips to our nearest (50 miles away)Toys R Us I decided on the Alpha Elite 65. It is a 3in1 car seat. RF 5-40lbs, FF 22-65lbs, Booster 40-100lbs. Height 19"-52" (which is 2" more than typical car seats) 17" highest harness slots (which is awesome!) 3 position recline, 3 crotch slots and the LATCH system (but I used the car seat belt since I was installing it in a 1996 Ford Taurus) It also has support cushions for the head and lateral area. I am very pleased with my decision. It installed easily and isn't overly big. The armrests also flip up out of the way. I will be using this car seat FF with the 5 point harness system in the middle recline position. Hope this helps any other family looking for a carseat for their special needs child. This car seat is replacing an expired Cosco Alpha Omega seat, which has served us well! (basically the same, but new one has improvements to adjusting the harness and more comfy padding)

That sounds like a good decision, esp as she's used to the seat's predecessor. She's comfortable, you're getting a great install, it's easy to get her in and out--I think that style seat is good for your needs.

Just as an fyi, despite the labeling on the seat, please don't think it's good to use this seat as a booster later. The belt fit is very poor and it doesn't last that long as a booster either. I know you're not intending on boostering her, b/c she really needs the harness, but in case of another child using the seat later, I wanted you to know. ;)

For future knowledge, no matter what the stated height limit is on a seat, it may still be outgrown by height earlier than that by some kids. Kids who are longer in the torso may outgrow a seat w/a supposed height limit of 52" when they are only 47" tall (when shoulders go over the top slots). In your dd's case, that's not nearly as likely, but in my kid's case, it's always true. Our Britax seats supposedly go to 49" tall (and have 16.5-17.5" top slots), yet my 6.5 yr old is just now 46" tall, and he's been out of it for over a year! Our now 3.5 yr old likely won't make it to 4.5..and he's 39" right now.

At some point, she may outgrow this seat, too. From what you've said, I'd expect that will be a very long time from now. The Safety First Complete Air would be a similar style, fit, and install and will accommodate a taller child.

Good luck--glad to hear that you found a good solution!

(And I wanted to say...we lost a baby--miscarriage, 2 years ago--a girl w/2 trisomies...2 & 16, I think...they said it was unusual to have 2 trisomies...)

henrietta

froggygirl

Two trisomies are very rare and from my understanding typically aren't carried to term. My daughter was 8# 9.5 oz and 20 inches at birth and wasn't given very good odds to see her 1st birthday. She is now 11 and still my baby. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC