Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RF Radian incompatibility in BMW X5

Now that I had some spare time (and a new boot from Judi!) I fought with the Radian once again.

With the feet wedged into the bight, there is still a gap between the vehicle seat and the Radian

It's also very reclined (this is on my driveway, which slopes toward the back of the vehicle; it's even more reclined than it looks)

The base of the seat is barely in contact with the vehicle seat

This is what it looks like with the seat out of the bight, flat on the vehicle seat
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: RF Radian incompatibility in BMW X5

Glad you got the foot!

Can you try something for me? Grab a phone book and pretend it is an angle adjuster, and install with that.

I have no phone book....I'll grab something a similar thickness. I'm not sure I'm comfortable using an angle adjuster since I worry it would just give a false sense of security, but I'll try it. How thick is the AA? Around 2"?

About 1.5-2, yes. I don't have one.....yet. Just wondering if it will work for others.

Ok with my makeshift angle adjuster...

Close, but still about half an inch away.

Well dang. I had an issue passenger side, FFing, with SL getting loose, but I know you didn't have that issue. Still thinking the X5 and the radian are just not the way to go.

Yeah I usually have mine in with seatbelts since I need all the room I can get, so I haven't had an issue with the SL. It works great FF with seatbelt, but I would really like to be able to RF my 2yo. Luckily it looks like we'll be getting a bigger vehicle in the next few weeks.

Love your angle adjuster! Lol! We like to call the aa the "phonebook".
    Jeni- CPST and Mom to: Parker 6 Diono Mont. and Combi Hbb, Myles 3 Foonf and RXT. Day care provider to J, A, Z, Radians x 3!

I have never seen a vehicle with that kind of round thing near the seat bottom, how funny!

Quote Originally Posted by jenfrogmom
    Love your angle adjuster! Lol! We like to call the aa the "phonebook".
    Lol, yeah federal air regulations...our phonebook

Quote Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post
    I have never seen a vehicle with that kind of round thing near the seat bottom, how funny!
    Toyota Sienna has it as well.

Do you think there is any value in forwarding these pictures to Allanna @ Diono and she what she and the engineers think or is that overkill?

I am curious to know what the angle is on the feet-in-the-bight install without the *phonebook*. Do you have one of those angle finder apps on your phone?

I am also curious to know Diono's opinion of the feet-in-the-bight with *phonebook* install since no part of the car seat is touching the vehicle seat.
    Heather car seat geek since the early 80's & WAHM
    DD1, 17, adult SB, DD2, 15, adult SB, DD3, 13 Adult Seatbelt DD4,9, 5 steppingDS1, 9,5 stepping, DS2, 5, Harmony Defender in booster mode all in our 2009 Suburban!!!

I would try with the feet in front of the bump, with the "phonebook". See if that gets the front of the Radian touching the seat back.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Quote Originally Posted by featherhead
    I would try with the feet in front of the bump, with the "phonebook". See if that gets the front of the Radian touching the seat back.
    I did; it was way farther from the vehicle seat.

I didn't measure the angle; I will later today

I did email them to Allana and she said she would forward them to the engineer but she also said she thought it would be fine, although she said the front of the seat not touching the vehicle seat was NOT fine before. I'm having a bit of flashbacks to Russ telling everyone whatever they wanted to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by mom of six

I am also curious to know Diono's opinion of the feet-in-the-bight with *phonebook* install since no part of the car seat is touching the vehicle seat.
    That is my #1 concern. The only part in contact with the vehicle seat are the toes of the boot.

Carseat Crazy

Can you please explain further why it is incompatible? Is it only because of the over-recline? What is the problem with the small gap at the foot of the radian and the back of the seat if there is less than an inch of movement? I'd really like to make our radian work rf'ing in our BMW x5 and even ordered the angle adjuster, but your post has me very worried it won't work and I'd just like to understand the issues more thoroughly. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post

It's called a Tootsie Roll or a something-or-other Waterfall. I read about it in that new LATCH study. Eta: it's called a Bightline Waterfall.

Quote Originally Posted by jordansmom
    Can you please explain further why it is incompatible? Is it only because of the over-recline? What is the problem with the small gap at the foot of the radian and the back of the seat if there is less than an inch of movement? I'd really like to make our radian work rf'ing in our BMW x5 and even ordered the angle adjuster, but your post has me very worried it won't work and I'd just like to understand the issues more thoroughly. Thank you!
    Per the manual, the front of the Radian must be I'm contact with the vehicle seat back. With the feet of the base on the vehicle seat, there is a big gap; with the toes in the seat bight, there is still a gap, it's over reclined, and the base of the seat is barely in contact with the vehicle seat--it's basically floating. With my makeshift angle adjuster, the front still doesn't touch the vehicle seat. It's just not an install I'm comfortable with at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mom of six View Post
    Do you think there is any value in forwarding these pictures to Allanna @ Diono and she what she and the engineers think or is that overkill?

I am curious to know what the angle is on the feet-in-the-bight install without the *phonebook*. Do you have one of those angle finder apps on your phone?

I did send them to Allana. She said it's ok. I'm not convinced, since she said this was exactly what she had in mind with the first "feet must be in the bight" statement and that the seat must touch the vehicle seatback, but then directly contradicted herself and said it was ok. Sticking an angle adjuster under it just means it's a more upright, bad install. I'm remembering Russ's propensity to tell customers what they want to hear so they continue using their seat.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    Per the manual, the front of the Radian must be I'm contact with the vehicle seat back. With the feet of the base on the vehicle seat, there is a big gap; with the toes in the seat bight, there is still a gap, it's over reclined, and the base of the seat is barely in contact with the vehicle seat--it's basically floating. With my makeshift angle adjuster, the front still doesn't touch the vehicle seat. It's just not an install I'm comfortable with at all.
    Thank you for the clarification! Could you direct me to where in my manual it will say the Radian must be in contact with the vehicle seat back? Ours is a 2011 model and for the life of me I can't seem to find that in our manual. From everything you are saying I can see how it's going to be a no-go even with the angle adjuster. Unfortunately for me that will mean DS will have to ride forward facing the month of his 3rd birthday when our rear facing Marathon expires. I guess I should be happy he made it to 3, right?

Thanks again for your help!