RF Radian incompatibility in BMW X5

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Now that I had some spare time (and a new boot from Judi!) I fought with the Radian once again.

With the feet wedged into the bight, there is still a gap between the vehicle seat and the Radian
IMG_9665.jpg

IMG_9672.jpg

IMG_9667.jpg

It's also very reclined (this is on my driveway, which slopes toward the back of the vehicle; it's even more reclined than it looks)
IMG_9664.jpg

IMG_9668.jpg

The base of the seat is barely in contact with the vehicle seat
IMG_9669.jpg

IMG_9671.jpg

IMG_9674.jpg

This is what it looks like with the seat out of the bight, flat on the vehicle seat
IMG_9673.jpg

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Glad you got the foot!

Can you try something for me? Grab a phone book and pretend it is an angle adjuster, and install with that.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have no phone book....I'll grab something a similar thickness. I'm not sure I'm comfortable using an angle adjuster since I worry it would just give a false sense of security, but I'll try it. How thick is the AA? Around 2"?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well dang. I had an issue passenger side, FFing, with SL getting loose, but I know you didn't have that issue. Still thinking the X5 and the radian are just not the way to go.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah I usually have mine in with seatbelts since I need all the room I can get, so I haven't had an issue with the SL. It works great FF with seatbelt, but I would really like to be able to RF my 2yo. :( Luckily it looks like we'll be getting a bigger vehicle in the next few weeks.

mom of six

Do you think there is any value in forwarding these pictures to Allanna @ Diono and she what she and the engineers think or is that overkill?

I am curious to know what the angle is on the feet-in-the-bight install without the *phonebook*. Do you have one of those angle finder apps on your phone?

I am also curious to know Diono's opinion of the feet-in-the-bight with *phonebook* install since no part of the car seat is touching the vehicle seat.

featherhead

I would try with the feet in front of the bump, with the "phonebook". See if that gets the front of the Radian touching the seat back.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
featherhead said:
I would try with the feet in front of the bump, with the "phonebook". See if that gets the front of the Radian touching the seat back.

I did; it was way farther from the vehicle seat.

I didn't measure the angle; I will later today

I did email them to Allana and she said she would forward them to the engineer but she also said she thought it would be fine, although she said the front of the seat not touching the vehicle seat was NOT fine before. I'm having a bit of flashbacks to Russ telling everyone whatever they wanted to hear.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
mom of six said:
I am also curious to know Diono's opinion of the feet-in-the-bight with *phonebook* install since no part of the car seat is touching the vehicle seat.

That is my #1 concern. The only part in contact with the vehicle seat are the toes of the boot.

jordansmom

Can you please explain further why it is incompatible? Is it only because of the over-recline? What is the problem with the small gap at the foot of the radian and the back of the seat if there is less than an inch of movement? I'd really like to make our radian work rf'ing in our BMW x5 and even ordered the angle adjuster, but your post has me very worried it won't work and I'd just like to understand the issues more thoroughly. Thank you!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
jordansmom said:
Can you please explain further why it is incompatible? Is it only because of the over-recline? What is the problem with the small gap at the foot of the radian and the back of the seat if there is less than an inch of movement? I'd really like to make our radian work rf'ing in our BMW x5 and even ordered the angle adjuster, but your post has me very worried it won't work and I'd just like to understand the issues more thoroughly. Thank you!

Per the manual, the front of the Radian must be I'm contact with the vehicle seat back. With the feet of the base on the vehicle seat, there is a big gap; with the toes in the seat bight, there is still a gap, it's over reclined, and the base of the seat is barely in contact with the vehicle seat--it's basically floating. With my makeshift angle adjuster, the front still doesn't touch the vehicle seat. It's just not an install I'm comfortable with at all.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Do you think there is any value in forwarding these pictures to Allanna @ Diono and she what she and the engineers think or is that overkill?

I am curious to know what the angle is on the feet-in-the-bight install without the *phonebook*. Do you have one of those angle finder apps on your phone?

I did send them to Allana. She said it's ok. I'm not convinced, since she said this was exactly what she had in mind with the first "feet must be in the bight" statement and that the seat must touch the vehicle seatback, but then directly contradicted herself and said it was ok. Sticking an angle adjuster under it just means it's a more upright, bad install. I'm remembering Russ's propensity to tell customers what they want to hear so they continue using their seat. :rolleyes:

jordansmom

Per the manual, the front of the Radian must be I'm contact with the vehicle seat back. With the feet of the base on the vehicle seat, there is a big gap; with the toes in the seat bight, there is still a gap, it's over reclined, and the base of the seat is barely in contact with the vehicle seat--it's basically floating. With my makeshift angle adjuster, the front still doesn't touch the vehicle seat. It's just not an install I'm comfortable with at all.

Thank you for the clarification! Could you direct me to where in my manual it will say the Radian must be in contact with the vehicle seat back? Ours is a 2011 model and for the life of me I can't seem to find that in our manual. From everything you are saying I can see how it's going to be a no-go even with the angle adjuster. Unfortunately for me that will mean DS will have to ride forward facing the month of his 3rd birthday when our rear facing Marathon expires. I guess I should be happy he made it to 3, right?

Thanks again for your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC