Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Turning Nautilus into Booster

OMG! What an ordeal! I THOUGHT I didn't need the manual.

I did not want to undo the top tether because it is in a 2005 Ford Expedition and the anchor is waaaaay down below the back of the back seat and I have the third row seat flat. So I needed to take out the harness straps with it still tethered. I could NOT figure out how to get the side bottom straps undone!

I finally had to go in the house and find the manual. It was so complicated, I can't believe they made it so hard, (although it would have been easier out of the car on a flat surface.) But I managed to get the straps undone and got it Latched.

Whew! I feel like I had a 15 min workout!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Turning Nautilus into Booster

I know! I feel your pain. I did it twice and have reinstalled the harness once. It's no picnic. You probably didn't have to do the cleaning that was required that I had to do either. I'm sure the seat has never been cleaned ever in it's life! It was very icky!
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

Oh, yeah - mine is icky. I just can't clean it right now because I have to leave in a bit to go get my grandson. And then there is still the top tether issue. Darn. I guess I will have to undo it eventually.

The weird thing is, he is just above the second to top harness slots. He is almost 7 and 50 lbs and in boosters in all other cars. I decided to make the Nautilus a booster even though he could still have been harnessed because of the rule that the headrest can't cover the harness slot at all. The headrest fits him perfectly now and I don't want to have to raise it. For it to be above the top harness slot, it would be WAY over his head AND make it really hard to see out the back window.

I remember it being said here before that the GN wouldn't fit well as a booster until the harness was outgrown. I'll be curious to know if it fits. It worked well for both Hannah and Brett and both had outgrown the harness height.

ETA: I like the booster mode. It feels very protective.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

6. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by cookie123
    I remember it being said here before that the GN wouldn't fit well as a booster until the harness was outgrown. I'll be curious to know if it fits. It worked well for both Hannah and Brett and both had outgrown the harness height.

ETA: I like the booster mode. It feels very protective.
    Me too. I love the GN

auto correct hates me
    A five stepper and a booster rider

Carseat Crazy
    My almost 7 yo is recently boostered in his nauti but can still fit harnessed (all legs) i get a damn good belt fit on him IMO. wait did I read you are leaving the top tether attached to the car in booster mode? I thought that wasn't allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by acoro
    My almost 7 yo is recently boostered in his nauti but can still fit harnessed (all legs) i get a damn good belt fit on him IMO. wait did I read you are leaving the top tether attached to the car in booster mode? I thought that wasn't allowed?
    Mine is tethered and attached with LATCH. In booster mode.

auto correct hates me

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=154203

I think this is the right link where it's discussed but I got okay from Graco to use LATCH and or just top tether.

auto correct hates me

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

I've tried my ds in the Nautilus in booster mode just as a pre-test before deciding what seat to buy for him for our 2nd vehicle. He wasn't quite 40lbs yet, and had about 1 to 1.5" of harness growing room left.

Belt fit on him was surprisingly good, so I expect we'll be able to use it as a booster for him once he outgrows the harness in it if it still fits him the same then. (I'm thinking it was close to 9 months ago now that I tried it, so he's obviously grown since then.)
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Carseat Crazy
    Hmm mine is attached w/ the bottom UAS straps but I didnt top tether in booster mode because I thought it was supposed to move forward with him when a booster