driving test and booster seat

christineka

Yesterday, while I was driving, the though occurred to me that in just 3.5 years, my oldest could have her learner's permit. Ack! The next thought that came to was, "but she's so small!". I realize that my dd has a lot of growing to do in the next 3.5 years, but she's about 50 pounds lighter and a foot shorter than the kids her age at church. (When they all stand up together, my dd looks like a toothpick munchkin.) Then, I remembered taking my driving test, while sitting on a thick phonebook with a couch pillow on top. I drove one of those '80s cars with a super long front end. Without the boost, I couldn't see past my car's front end. I think it would have been better (and safer) to just sit in a booster. I would have fit in one back then, before my childbearing years.

Would it really be that bad to take the driving test sitting in a booster? So far, my 12 year old would rather ride in a booster than not. She says she feels short without and since she gets car sick, I'd rather she have a great view of the road.

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
3.5 years will make a big difference. My sister and cousin have always been very petite, but they both could reach and everything at 16.

jeminijad

If *she* wants to use a booster to take the test, fine.

Whose car is used to take the test there? A paid driver education agency car, a state owned, the parent's car? Hopefully she can drive cars with fully adjustable drivers seats, which can raise her up much farther than the old boats.

Baylor

My aunt sat on a pillow for years. In the 70s there was not much seat adjustment lol.. She is 4'11.

tam_shops

My mom sat on a phone book to drive when I was still in high school 90's, so she must have taken the driver's test on one, 70's. After that she got a Toyota, which allows the seat to go both up and forward enough for her to reach/see.

She's just under 5ft and ~100#.

I was just thinking about 5 stepping myself b/c even in my Toyota my belt sits across my stomach, drives me nuts, but I'm too heavy for a booster now! LOL

tam

kam1011

I had a friend in high school who used a phone book to drive. It was an old 80s boat, I mean, car. She got mocked a lot for it, though.

mamakc

I sit on a firm couch pillow in my dh's toyota. It helps a ton. My car has the driver's seat adjusted as high as it can go. When she gets to driving age, maybe just try to make sure that whatever car she learns & tests in has a fully adjustable drivers seat.

Kat_Momof3

if she needs one, let her use one... if she can just adjust the seat and be comfortable and have proper belt fit, great.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC