Shopping suggestion please...

MustangMama

I am getting an infant seat for emergency foster placements so we have one on hand and won't have to run out and get it if we need it last minute. It will mostly go in the new car. Baby N goes on weekend visits with her bio mom so I drive it on the weekends.

Sports car + infant seat = headache and non-usable front seat.

So what is going to give me the most front passenger room? Which infant carrier is the most "compact" and the handle can be up or down according to guidelines? A base is a must also, so keep in mind if the base makes it bulkier or not.

Last edited:
ADS

ARon

CPS Technician
I have a small 2 door car and I use a key fit for my foster babies. The base does take more room than without the base, but I still find it fairly compact (front seat definitely usable in my car) and I like that it fits preemies well, since we never know who we might have placed with us.

PunkyMonkey

Keyfit maybe? Or a Snugride 30? Do the Graco seats require the handle up in the US now too?

My SR22 or SR35 did not require handle up but with base they take up TONS of room! I would stay away from these... I honestly when I had my 2 door Nissan 240sx coupe couldnt get the front seat to even click back into locked position in the forward most setting with a baseless SR22 in there! Camaro might be bigger, but can't be that much bigger =/

Best bet... go to BRU they'll let you try seats in your car before you buy!

MustangMama

Never even heard of an Aton before :duck:

I will call BRU tmrw, thanks!

What about a Flex-Lock or however you spell it. They look pretty compact. My sister has one I could use for free.....hmmmmm.

cmcki737

firemomof3 said:
I don't think the flex loc fits smaller babies well. I would go with either the keyfit or Aton personally

How small is the baby because you friends 6lb 3oz DD fit well from birth?

Phineasmama

ETA: the Aton has a foam piece that you can put under the cover in the butt area for babies under like 10-11 lbs. My baby was 10 lbs at birth and I had to take the insert out! It would definitely be good for small babies.

J-max

CPST Instructor
I am feeling the Aton love and am really sad that I promised it to a friend and will have to give it up in the next 4-6 weeks. I have never liked a bucket seat before, but this one is awesome :D I especially love it baseless with the European instal - and I think it would be super easy for you to use it this way and *maybe* still use your front seat!

MustangMama

OP wants the seat for a potential future emergency foster baby situation. So, there's no way to tell what baby's size would be ;)

I don't think this comment was directed at me LOL

But yes, I have no clue on size of baby or anything! Kinda nerve wracking LOL

krfogle88

I would also recommend the Aton. It is shorter front to back than the Keyfit. It may not be much, but if you need every possible cm available to make it work than I believe the Aton would be your seat!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC