ERFing TALL toddler behind TALL driver in TINY car - seat suggestions?

U

Unregistered

I am trying to find a convertible that will last my tall 2.5 year old a while in RF. We are having another baby in a few months and will then need to RF two seats in a little Honda Fit. My husband is 6'6" and needs his seat all the way back. I also found out that the car seats cannot touch the drivers and passengers seats up front, thanks to the airbags. I an going to a store today that has Radians (likely an impossible dream) and a bunch of other seats. I also like the Safety First Complete Air 65 thanks to some other threads I read about tall toddlers in RF. Any others I should try? There is no way a third person will fit back there, so width isn't really a concern, but I would like a low profile so my big girl can climb in all by herself, which is impossible in her Britax Boulevard.

ADS

hrice

What seat are you using for the baby? (particular model would be helpful)

I would do a Radian with angle adjustor outboard passenger side. I have one behind me in my Civic and I am 6'. If you are open to using a convertible from birth for the baby I reccommend the Combi Coccoro. You could put it center next to the Radian or probably even behind you husband with the seat all the way back. It takes up less space RF than an infant bucket seat.

KaiLing

Hi there! I'm in a similar situation, though kid 1 will be 3.5 and husband is 6'9". We drive a mazda 3 and a honda accord.

The husband over here can't sit in front of any RF seat. Our solution has been to leave a place for him to sit behind the driver. So I'm looking at attempting to get a seat in the middle for when we are four people in the car, and having an adult in the back. When we are two kids, one short driver, I'll put a baby behind the short driver. When we are one tall driver and one preschooler, I'll take the baby's seat out so that one parent can drive one child. When we are one tall driver and two kids (the least likely scenerio), I'll consider FFing the preschooler, something I'd like to avoid until he's 4.

I'm not that familiar with the Honda Fit (it doesn't Fit us, even pre-kids, it turns out), but I would try a radian next to a coccoro pretty much anywhere: I've seen that fit in another member's Mazda 3, which is very narrow. I would also try a RF radian with an angle adjuster in the center behind my husband pretty much anywhere: that doesn't work in our Mazda, but it has made such a huge difference in other cars that it's on the top of my list of tall driver tricks.

If your 2.5 year old can still fit in his or her britax and your husband can drive in front of that, I'd stay in it as long as humanly possible (my 2.5 year old no longer fit any britax RF) and then maybe look at a Coccoro for the baby.

A complete air would not be my first choice for two reasons: first, it only allows RFing to 40" of total height, for me that would have been until before my kid's 3rd birthday, and second, it has a less generous rule about the angle of installation than a radian does, though supposedly the new ones have two angle indicators. These are rules that some members on here don't follow, but I'm a stickler for rules. Even for me, at only 5'8", I'd rather sit in front of a Radian with an angle adjuster.

My LATCH manual makes no mention of airbag sensors in the driver's seat: is that information from your Fit's manual? Your car's manual is certainly more authoritative than my LATCH manual, but often these things are different on the driver's and passenger's side.

It depends on the 6'6" person's proportions, but a simple trick for getting more space is to sit as upright as possible. You gain a lot of front to back room by not reclining the seat more than is absolutely necessarily, it's safer for the adult, and I've come to prefer it. That depends on the person, however: the recline is the only way some tall people can see out the top of the windshield.

U

Unregistered

New developments (I am the OP, by the way, I'll register properly very soon):
We went to BRU (very overwhelming in there, yuck) and tried the SF CA, Evenflo Symphony, and TrueFit. The second two didn't work at all behind the driver, and the COmplete Air didn't seem to have enough advantages over our Britax marathon to make it worth the switch. I am heading over to a nearby family's house tomorrow to test out a Radian with the angle adjuster, both behind the driver and in the center. We would like to avoid getting a new seat for the new baby, since we already have a Graco Snugride that will fit behind the passenger, and can pass down the Britax, but we will get two Radians if that is what fits best and keeps them both RF.

Also, I re-read the manual and the car seat can brace against the driver seat, not the passenger seat. I was wrong about it being both. That gives more hope for the Radian. Now, to choose a model, headwings or no headwings, that is the question...

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I have heard that britax seats do puzzle well with the radians, so if the snugride works out you may be able to do the radian center and britax passenger. I would try out that combination when you try the radian as well as trying it next to the infant seat

U

Unregistered

(OP here) I am planning to test a Radian this afternoon and hopefully a Coccoro as well. I hoping the combination of those two will work. Or maybe two Radians?

KaiLing

Just FYI, I, at 5'8" (but with shortish legs), can't sit in front (even in the passenger seat) of a radian at a baby angle in either a Mazda 3, Honda accord, or toyota corolla. Fine in front of a radian set up for a toddler, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC