Questions about Recaro Prosport

jnamommy

Why is this seat not recommended very often? Is it due to the price point, or does it not fit children very well?

ADS

christineka

It's the price for what you get. The top harness position is 18 inches. The open belt path is weird and can be uncomfortable. The top belt guide for booster use is 19 inches. The frontier often goes on sale for less, does more, and is good for 3 years longer.

Murphy's Law

I agree with christineka. I have one, and although I love it for my current needs and for the price I paid for it, I wouldn't purchase one for full price when there is a seat out there that does more. My average sized 40-ish pound 4 year old is already using the top harness slot on the Prosport. I'm sure he has a couple of years left before his shoulders are above that slot, but I expected a little more from a seat that has a 90 pound weight limit on it.

jeminijad

It has its fans. I'm one of them.

I like the open belt path- I can't help but think in my unscientific way that allowing the shoulder belt in its normal position, rather than routing it through a narrow path that forces it to act like a lap only belt, is a good thing.

I also love the side wings. They are deep, and protect the torso rather than just the head. And I have no intentions of harnessing till second grade, so the height issue will only apply when she outgrows the booster mode.

But I acknowledge I got mine during an Amazon pricing glitch for $120. I would never have even tried it at full retail.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yeah, between the fact that no child will get to 90lb in it due to the to harness height, and the weird tethering rules, when the Frontier does more for a similar price, I'm hesitant to recommend it in most situations.

I have one and really like it, but I know its limitations and purchased it for fit/puzzling reasons. It wouldn't have been my first choice except for its weird shape & belt path working in my favor.

jjordan

I chose it over the frontier because it works better in my 3 across. That said, it is an easier installation than a frontier, and I do love the deep side wings throughout.

macmomma

I own the FR85 and the Prosport- I like them both! I do prefer the FR85 but only because the cup holders. Both my youngest are little shrimps so they get a lot of use out of them,that being said, the Prosport will most likely expire before it will be outgrown at our house!

Phineasmama

I have two ProSports. I really do like them. I find them easy to install and my 5th could probably use it for another 2 years!
But she just figured out how to loosen the harness and won't stop doing it so I am getting her a Frontier to replace it :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC