Quick question-Can she sit on something?

Joyofbirth

I know the technical answer is no. But here's the situation. My dd3 has digestive issues. We're having a really bad week. She can't sit on her bottom because it hurts-hemorrhoids and such. She is dreading sitting in her seat to go pick up my other girls from school. I can't walk it today. I'm just too sick. It's about 1/2 mile, most of it in a school zone, so 20mph. Would it be ok for me to roll up a receiving blanket or something to make her a donut of sorts to sit on?

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Honestly, I think this is one of those things where you have to make the parental judgment for yourself. I am not going to advise you that it's ok, but I think it's understandable and the risk involved is probably minimal.

Keep in mind that car seats work equally well for kids in flimsy little disposable diapers and big bulky cloth diapers, and a lot of infant seats come with inserts that boost the newborn into position in the straps. I can't think of any inherent reason why something under the child's butt would be a safety concern. However, that is not the same thing as knowing that it it's safe. So I wouldn't just do it without a really really good reason.

MommyShannon

Is she diapers? Do you have tucks wipes you could lay in her diaper right before leaving? That was a big help for me after giving birth. They feel even better chilled. I'm not a tech so I don't know about the padding.

Rebelnicky04

:yeahthat: After birth they were the only thing that helped with my hemmroids. I was in so much pain... I also kept cool compresses on there. I understand where you are coming from wanting the blanket though and I am no CPST but if it were my child I would do whatever necessary to keep her comfortable. Good luck!

Rebelnicky04

Sorry to post twice but I just remembered the nurses also put ice in a baby diaper for me so that way it wouldn't leak and it wasn't freezing cold. It was amazing... when I got home I did it for a week and it was the only way I could get any sleep. I hope she feels better soon!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
She's rf'ing based on your signature, right?

I think in this circumstance I'd be ok with something soft that simulated a donut as long as it wasn't very thick and didn't create an appreciable increase in seated height.

Rf'ing kids slide up towards the top of the seat in a collision anyways, so provided that she has space above her head and her harness is nice and snug, I'd be much less concerned with something under her bum in this situation than if she was ff'ing.

Sorry she's so uncomfortable, it must be so hard for her to understand at her age.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I wouldn't get bent out of shape about something thinnish like a receiving blanket, in a RFing seat. Like the cloth vs. disposable discussion, and as snowbird said, in a RFing seat there is no force pushing DOWN on the padding in a collision. I wouldn't do it on a habitual basis and it would give me more panic in a FFer, though.

henrietta

I'm in agreement that although I shouldn't advise you to do so, I wouldn't tell you not to! ;) If she were mine, I'd have no problem using a woman's thick maxi pad in her undies (could cut a hole in it if needed) or diaper to give her extra cushioning, or a thicker diaper w/a hole cut in it.

There are also breast pads for nursing moms, the kind that you can freeze (they stay soft), that probably would fit on a 3 year olds bum the same way a big donut would fit for an adult woman. I think mine were Gerber brand, bought at either BRU or Target, and they were a God send!

GL!

henrietta

Joyofbirth

She flips back and fourth, so she was actually ffing yesterday. I just put her in a diaper and buckled her in like usual. She made that gaspy noise but did ok. I will definitely look for those gel pads. I think those would be good for her to have. She surprisingly has a good understanding of her situation. She definitely handles it better than I do. I cry when she has a bad week, but she just rolls with it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC