Kiddy World Plus

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Can someone explain the hype of this seat to me please? :eek: I ask because I know the old sheild boosters and such were basically considered deadly, and these look a lot like those to me. Thank you. :)

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If you search "kiddy world plus shield," there are a bazillion threads about it.

It boils down to the fact that the shield is made of foam and fits snuggly against the child vs. the old plastic kind that wouldn't hold a kid and that they'd whack their bodies on.

Kiddy claims FF in their seat is as safe (safer?) than RF. They're full of it on that, but the safety is comparable to a harness, not like the old shield boosters.

Baylor

LISmama810 said:
If you search "kiddy world plus shield," there are a bazillion threads about it.

It boils down to the fact that the shield is made of foam and fits snuggly against the child vs. the old plastic kind that wouldn't hold a kid and that they'd whack their bodies on.

Kiddy claims FF in their seat is as safe (safer?) than RF. They're full of it on that, but the safety is comparable to a harness, not like the old shield boosters.

I just am not sure I believe it. I can't wrap my mind around it. Maybe if there was shoulder straps or something but I don't think I could ride around with this shield and feel great. What if shield breaks in crash? I don't know.

auto correct hates me

Syllieann

I don't believe it's safer than rf for a minute. It may or may not be safer than 5 pt harness for a very young ff-er. The weight and height limits on the shield are so low that any child who fits in it would still fit rf so I don't really get the point of the shield :shrug-shoulders: Looks like it makes a great booster though. If they ditched the shield and dropped the price a little maybe they would be competitive in the booster market.

skylinphoto

The whole idea is that with a shock absorbing shield and no straps on the shoulders, load on the neck is decreased. The head, neck, and shoulders will move forward together.

I feel completely comfortable with my 4 yr old in it (and yes, even though she could still fit rfing, I feel completely comfortable with her ffing..). :)

I don't believe their claim that its safer than rfing either. I think they're foolish for saying that. But, who knows?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

Kac

I shall go search. :) I wasn't aware that the shield is made of foam. That's really interesting.

ETA: cross posted with you Jessica- that makes sense too. How tight is it on them? Do you worry about DD flying out of the top of the shield? (Not to scare you, I'm just curious if you think that's possible. KWIM?)

skylinphoto

Kac said:
I shall go search. :) I wasn't aware that the shield is made of foam. That's really interesting.

ETA: cross posted with you Jessica- that makes sense too. How tight is it on them? Do you worry about DD flying out of the top of the shield? (Not to scare you, I'm just curious if you think that's possible. KWIM?)

It fits quite snugly on the child..and high. You'd have to see how it fits irl I think. I'm not worried in the least that even my ultra skinny, underweight dd could fly out of it. :)

ETA: my dh described it as a perfectly shaped wedge..I think that's a good description.

Reactions: Kac

actuallyamanda

I dont like the way they look either. I guess it just reminds me of the old ones too much. I feel like a 5pt harness is much safer.

Kac

It fits quite snugly on the child..and high. You'd have to see how it fits irl I think. I'm not worried in the least that even my ultra skinny, underweight dd could fly out of it. :)

ETA: my dh described it as a perfectly shaped wedge..I think that's a good description.

Do you think at some point you could try and get a picture of the seat from above her? And of the wedge for me? Please. :)

Kac

I guess for me it comes down to the fact that the shield only goes up to 40lbs, but we typically don't worry about neck loads until kiddos are heavier.

CaseyRN

I said it in another thread but I just think the kiddo would get SO hot in the summer riding around with that thick shield snug on their entire torso.

Carrie_R

Kac said:
I guess for me it comes down to the fact that the shield only goes up to 40lbs, but we typically don't worry about neck loads until kiddos are heavier.

No, we worry about neck loads at all ages... That's why we rf. Neck loads are exactly the danger in younger FFers - they cause internal decap etc. The theory is that the shield may reduce neck loads vs a FF harness... if that's indeed the case, this is a safer option than a harness for younger kids who could benefit greatly from RF but for whatever reason are FFing.

Because many of us in this community RF until that's less of a danger, we tend to worry about harness vs booster neck loads in older kids. This seat provides the option of having the security of a harness but the neck/shoulders moving together like a booster.

Ladyl

Is this really true? I thought neck loads were why rfing is so important. And younger kids have bigger heads, so neck loads are harder on them.

I know there is talk about neck loads in ffing seats vs boosters. From what I've read and understand from some of the experts here, that really isn't too big of a concern, or only becomes a concern once a booster is a safe option, since well a tiny kid or kid out of position really can't be safe in a booster regardless of lower neck loads.

Eta: oops I was slow and cross posted with Carrie.

jeminijad

I have no problem believing that this design is safer than a 5 point harness for a small child FFing.

The entire torso is restrained- forces would be spread from upper chest through to the hips, and clearly the neck will have to endure less of a violent whiplash.

Are we arguing that harnessing isn't good just because there used to be not so good 3 point harnesses? Not a perfect analogy, but the crappy old shield boosters that looked very different, were made of non energy absorbing materials, didn't cover nearly enough of the torso AND involved loose harness straps means nothing when it comes to a barely related design like the Kiddy.

NatesMamma

CaseyRN said:
I said it in another thread but I just think the kiddo would get SO hot in the summer riding around with that thick shield snug on their entire torso.

That the first thing I thought when I saw it! It's not even April yet, and we're expecting temps of 85+ later in the week. :-/ There's no way I can see a kid being comfortable in that in the summer.

I fully believe that it's *at least* as safe as FF in a harness, but I think it's crap to call it safer than RF.

Syllieann

The other thing that confuses me about this is that most kids won't be booster ready when they outgrow the shield so you have to go to a different intermediate ff harness seat and then back to the booster later. It might be perfectly fine for small kids but why do I feel like a bunch of kids are going to end up in booster only before they're really ready?

kam1011

The average early-FF isn't going to shell out $279 for the weird seat that looks different from every other picture they've ever seen in their life.

Baylor

What is the minimum age on this seat?

I just keep thinking we are trying to get people to rf longer and now we have a seat that says its safer than rfing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC