Not loving the BFF - other bag suggestions?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My BFF and I are not getting along. I hate how all the pockets inside are in the back and side, so all my items in the main compartment block the pockets and DH can't see any of the pockets when I direct him to something. The pockets suck for me. They are not expandable enough at the bottom of the pocket, and there is no elastic to hold anything in at the top. So, my nice terry cloth wipes for example, I can put maybe 3 in without them falling forward and inching upward and out. The side pockets may work nicely for baby bottles, but I don't use baby bottles, so when I put in my 750ml stainless steel bottle, and bend to pick something up, it falls out onto the floor because the pocket, once again, narrows down too much at the bottom and needs to have an inch more height. And the zipper pockets are useless to me because I don't carry a bunch of little, dinky things, and it's hard to reach your hand into the small zipped pockets.

I think it's super cool that it can have a shoulder strap or backpack straps, but has been fairly useless for me because the right strap(s) never seem to be on when I need it. I'm heading out the door and realize I'm taking the baby carrier and would love the backpack straps, but don't have time to grab the straps, remove one and swap the others on. I've been leaving the backpack straps on now, but they're a bit awkward for an over one shoulder carry and get in the way of getting the change pad out. And don't even get me started on the useless clear plastic pockets inside. And it's too diaper bag looking for me, but I do love the pattern on it (mine is pretty tweet).

So now that you know what I hate ;), can you help me find something I love?

I carry cloth diapers, cloth wipes, wet bag, change of clothing, face cloths, diaper spray, diaper cream, and will eventually need to carry some snacks and some toys. I don't use bottles or pacifiers so don't need any pockets specifically designed for those. I also don't carry all the little things that I see a lot of in pics/videos of packed diaper bags, like gum, tissue packs, Advil/Tylenol, disposable mama pads, pens, bleach pens, disposable wipe packs etc.

I'm thinking a bag that was divided into sections might work better for me, does anything like that exist? A large section with a divider and then a smaller section or two? And pockets that bellow at the bottom would be nice rather than slim down. I also don't like to have a bunch of zippered pouches filled with things and thrown in the bag; I like my stuff to be directly in pockets in the bag.

Built in stroller straps would be cool as I have a car stroller and a home stroller so I don't like that if I want to carry the BFF on both strollers that I have to buy a 2nd set of clips. They are not easy enough to remove/put back on to transfer them each time.

I like patterns that are graphical and/or modern. I don't like flowery or classic looking stuff. Vera Bradley fabrics are not my style. I also like greys and shiny stuff.

Any ideas?

ADS

newyorkDOC

You can get bag organizers that you insert into the bag and can just move from bag to bag. I got one free from my hairdresser (weird I know), but it has a main compartment then like 3 outer pockets on each side. For DD I shoved that into a regular messenger bag and made it a diaper bag.

I use an isoki 3 in 1 slouch which also converts from messenger to tote to backpack with no need to switch out straps. It came with a couple satellite bags (one for diaper stuff I guess and one fridge bag for snacks). There's no drink holder on it though which I guess could get annoying if baby wearing... But as I'm 4m PG I haven't tried that yet.

krfogle88

I have a large vera bradley diaper bag and LOVE it. I also have a jjb bff and a dwell diaper bag. The vera bradley is lightwight, washable, huge, and has TONS of pockets around the hole inside of the diaper bag. I can fit 2 pulls ups, 6 disposable diapers, 2 pads for myself, changing pad, wipes, a bag of medicine (gas drops, saline, nose suction, nail clippers etc), a 31 thermal lunch tote that I put her bottles in, a change of clothes for each girl, 2 burp clothes, pack of sanitizing wipes, bottle of hand sanitizer, and a bunch of little items. :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
See I don't actually need a ton of pockets; especially not small pockets. I don't actually carry any of the same things you do. Yes I carry diapers and wipes but mine are cloth so much different shape and size. And I don't carry any little things. I really think I need a bag with some separation to make a couple large compartments inside and maybe a couple decent sized pockets inside. A separate zipped section on the outside might be nice too; something bigger than the BFF mama pocket.

I did take a look at the VB web site again and I'm just really not a fan of the quilted look or the prints.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

T4K

I couldn't find anything I like aesthetically, so I just found a tote/bag I liked an have zippered punches for everything. Anything loose has a zippered pouch, it's organized and I don't have to carry a diaper bag. I just have a bag with diapers.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thirsty4Knowledge said:
I couldn't find anything I like aesthetically, so I just found a tote/bag I liked an have zippered punches for everything. Anything loose has a zippered pouch, it's organized and I don't have to carry a diaper bag. I just have a bag with diapers.

I promise, I'm not trying to be difficult…I'm just trying to provide all the info about what my needs are…but I don't like separate pouches. I like everything directly in the bag. I like to have a visual of everything rather than having to remember which pouch has what.

I am totally open to a non-diaper bag. I was just searching for diaper bags as it helped limit what was out there. If I open up the search, I'll be looking for years for the "perfect" bag. LOL

T4K

I COMPLETELY understand. The pouch thing for me was a compromise. I wasn't going to spend hours looking for the perfect bag and I'm rather frugal so I couldn't see myself trying out different high priced diaper bag systems. So pouches were my solution. I really only have 3. One for an extra outfit, one for diapers, and one for wipes/spit up cloths/ rags. The other stuff is in the bag. The bag I use has two separate sections. I throw my wristlet purse in there, too. I can take that out easily for a quick trip into the store.

amyd

I carry much the same things you do and I :love::love::love: my Be Smart (which of course is now discontinued). I bought it used from Chely and I seriously cannot say how much I love that bag. Anyway, moving on:p. Do you need backpack straps? I never BW on the front past 12 or 15lbs so I've never had a backpack diaper bag. We had a DiaperDude with DS1. It's messenger style. It has one large main section with 3 decent sized pockets on the outside and a bottle pocket as well. It is tall enough for a 21 oz (is that 750mL?) skinny Kleen Kanteen. I understand the bottle falling out frustration. I experienced that with my BeTween...part of the reason I sold it. I never had that problem with the DiaperDude though. It also has built-in stroller clips.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I don't know if I need backpack straps. I'm just finding them convenient right now. I'm actually confused about what I need. LOL

Definitely need stroller straps on the bag so I don't have to swap clips or buy 2nd set. Definitely need better pockets and for the pockets to be more accessible. And need more than one bigger section. Oh, also looking for something on the swankier side this time. So the Dudes are too sporty.

I found a couple I like, any opinions?

http://www.ebags.com/product/nest-d...yes&productid=10101714&itemid=1&cartlink=view

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004J35KFE"]timi & leslie Annette Convertible Diaper Bag, Pewter:Amazon:Baby[/ame]

The 2nd one I think might not be good for cloth? The main areas look too small maybe? I like to carry up to 8 dipes if I'm going out for the entire day and cloth won't fit in the inside pockets like sposies do.

I also like the style of this bag, but not the fabric or the price http://www.petunia.com/cake/satchels/keylimecreamcake

Kobain's Mommy

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Trekster-Backpack-Diaper-Black/dp/B006GEK6WQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333523834&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Columbia Trekster Backpack Diaper Bag in Black: Baby[/ame]

Something like that work? I wish they had pictures of the inside. We have that bag and my water bottle fit in the pocket and zipped in. There is a quick zipper on the side to get to the main compartment. It was a good bag for one child. He was older and we use disposable diapers and a sippy in there for him. But for a little bag it had a lot of room. They also make a messenger bag we have as well. I know for sure the messenger has stroller clips attached to it. We got both of them at TRU/BRU.

Kobain's Mommy

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Baby-Backpack-With-Ripstop/dp/B0006B2Q9G/ref=pd_sbs_ba_3"]Amazon.com: Columbia Baby Backpack With Ripstop Trim: Baby[/ame]

Here are some better pictures but doesn't show the main pocket.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Columbia backpack is really cute! Just sportier than I'm looking for now. I wants me some bling. ;)

cryswilkins

What about a Skip Hop? Either the Versa or the Studio Tote would match your style preference.

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse my typos.

Jillian

I love the skip hop Bento but i don't remember what it looks like inside lol. I don't care for a bunch of inner pockets either. I had a messenger bag for Jackson and there was a main compartment that had a pocket that ran the length of the bag on the inside, there was also one on the outside of the main compartment but still under the flap that had some smaller pockets for cell phone etc. Close the flap and you have a zipper pocket on the top and on the back facing you is a changing pad pocket. Bottle holder on either end capable of holding adult bottles. Mine was bought at Babies R Us on clearance made by timberland but truthfully it was a regular messenger bag with a changing pad.

Seems perfect for what you're looking for... Why don't you find a bling messenger bag you like and add a pretty memory foam changer from jjb? Bonus points for finding one that matches a changer you already have :)

kittykate

I carry a lot of the same stuff you do and I use a JJB Be Spicy. The indside has lots of pockets, but they are large and mesh (I can easily put cloth wipes/ or rolled up prefolds/flats in mine)

Right now in mine I have 5 cloth diapers, cloth wipes, butt spray, a Cj's BUTTer stick, a wet bag, two bibs, a teether, a change of clothes, two mama cloth liners, my moon cup, my cell, my wallet and a first aid pouch. I also have the messenger strap in one of the pockets just incase I need it. The outside "bottle" pockets easily accommodate my 750ml Camelbak on the days I can't fit it inside the bag.

If you want pics let me know :)

vonfirmath

I have not found the JuJuBe diaper bags to fit me at all.

I LOVE my Babies R Us bag -- but I have no idea what brand it is or anything

It has a large middle area that I put most stuff in and two long pockets on either side -- one side holds my nice large size changing pad and the other I stuff diapers, wipes, and a wet bag into.

hunypooh77

I have 3 JJB bags, a Spicy which I like, a BeTween that I find I have been using a lot lately, and a Be All that I HATE! I had a JJCole Mode bag at first and hated that too.
I have been wanting a BFF though :rolleyes:

penguingrooves

firstly, the bag i'm about to suggest is not cute. it's an inexpensive laptop backpack. but it serves my purpose, so i'm throwing it out there. i saw it at target for $19.99. the brand is embark. it's basically a backpack in this order from the very back, starting from the compartment closest to the backpack straps:

- laptop compartment (i put my potette portable toilet seat and a diaper changing pad.)
- main roomy compartment (lots of cloth diapers, wetbag, wipes and extra clothes.)
- zipped compartment that's a bit smaller than the laptop compartment (i put a hooter hider and food-related items like bibs and zipped snackbags.)
- a front smaller compartment with pen-holder slots inside, though i don't use the pen-holders. (my wallet, epipens and extra plastic bags are in there. the epipens slide into a pocket.)
- tiny zipped pocket above the front smaller compartment (keys, hair ties, hair clips.)
- two mesh side pockets for bottles, though they're not terribly tall to hold taller stainless water bottles securely.

again, it's not pretty. it's an ordinary backpack. so lower your expectations before clicking:

http://www.mystore411.com/store/deal/17881/Target-Embark-backpack

this is the white one from the front:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/790867285-backpack-white/

the bag can get quite cumbersome, but that's probably because i have way too much stuff in there. (i have 3 kids under age 5, and the newborn goes through over 20 cloth diapers a day.)

it's not a bag that anyone would covet, nor is it a 'fun bag' to carry around. but functionality was the most important factor for me - i like larger zipped compartments instead of useless teeny ones many diaper bags have. i don't think it's available online, but you probably want to check out in person anyway. but it works for me and the family. hope you find a bag you can tolerate soon.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well I still haven't found anything. I don't dig messenger style bags as I dislike cross body straps, and hate how the bags sit on my body. And I don't want a backpack only. I also don't want another JJB as I'm just not really digging their stuff. I was hesitant to buy the BFF in the first place but everyone thought I'd love JJB bags. But I don't. LOL I did buy the Nest Bleecker, and it's gorgeous. Just bigger than I want so now I have to sell it. Argh.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC