WWYD: Frontier or HBB?

Athena

Okay, I think I've made my decision, but I'd appreciate input to make sure I haven't overlooked something. Thanks for indulging me. ;)

I have been going back and forth (for months :eek:) on what secondary seat to get DD1. Given her slim, tall build, I've narrowed it down to the turbo, Cybex X-Fix, or another Frontier 85 (the seat she's using as primary right now and loves). I've been starting to feel a little pressure to booster ... she's probably (almost) the only kid at school in more than a LBB, much less a harness. But I'm not feeling 100% comfortable boostering her and, although it is expensive, I feel like the Frontier offers so much more for the price (much taller than the 19" max of those 2 boosters, latchable as booster, 2 cup holders :D, and a huge plus is that DD2 could ride in it too). So given the circumstances, would you feel ridiculous buying a Frontier for a 5 yo?

(FYI: She has almost outgrown the Nautilus :eek: and unless the shoulder belt fit improves by the time she has actually outgrown the harness, she may be down to one seat at that point, when ideally we could use 3.)

Thank you for your input!!!

Last edited:
ADS

Baylor

I would get the frontier. With another child and the 9 year expiration youll get good usage out of it.

How old is dd2 ?

auto correct hates me

Baylor

Athena said:
Thanks!

DD2 is 3.5 years old. She's very tall and outgrew RFing by height at 3.25 years old. :( Guessing that might be why you're asking. I wish I could have RFed her longer.

Nope. You did awesome rfing that long. Definitely the fr85. You can get another booster eventually for dd1 but you'll get every dime out of fr85.

I have a FR85 and I love it! It installs rock solid. I got it for my son who was 3 43" and 48 lbs. He is 4 now and he has a little left in GN but I am not boostering him for at least 18 months so I wanted to make sure he was covered.

What's cool is one night my 7.5 yr old was really sleepy and I put him in it and he fit and slept safe all the way home on a dark rainy night.

auto correct hates me

gigi

I'm going to be making the same decision for my 5 y.o. this summer. We will need 2 new seats for him (one for Grandma, one for Daddy). At 4 I would have trusted him to sit still in a booster, at 5 - no way! He is a wild man LOL. Anyway, I've decided to do 2 combination seats and just reassess appropriate restraints next summer when he's 6.

I am trying to avoid the Frontier because it just seems so bulky and excessive (he's 42" and in the low 40s for weight), but I might buy at least one. The 9 year expiration is a big plus because I have a 9 month old and she'll be able to use it down the line too (as opposed to the 6 years on the SecureKid/Maestro). I don't love the Nautilus. I am hoping to hold out on one of the seats to see what the new First Years combo actually materializes as, but I might not be able to.

So anyway, long story short, yes I'd buy the combo.

Phineasmama

I think you would get your money's worth out of a Frontier! It will last her harnessed for a while yet, and still makes a good booster OR you can hand it down to your younger child. It's only $212 on Amazon and for a seat that lasts 9 years I think it's totally worth it.

katiesmommy

I did buy a Frontier 85 for my then 5.5, now almost 7 year old. It's definitely been worth it for us. I love that when I pick her up from school she can buckle herself. Ultimately if you don't feel comfortable boostering her, then get the Frontier.

kam1011

I wouldn't get the turbo if she's already outgrowing the nautilus. My 5yo outgrew the nautilus harness and the turbobooster. They're not that far off from each other in max height (speaking of the nautilus in harness mode).

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I don't think a booster is the wrong answer as a secondary seat for a tall 5 year old that can sit properly in it, however, I don't think buying a Frontier for her is ridiculous either. I bought one for my dd when she was 5 and ds sat in it after dd moved to a booster full time. I'll probably eventually pass it on to my niece. With a 9 year life span you can get so much use out of it!

Athena

I did buy a Frontier 85 for my then 5.5, now almost 7 year old. It's definitely been worth it for us. I love that when I pick her up from school she can buckle herself. Ultimately if you don't feel comfortable boostering her, then get the Frontier.

I forgot about that. She can buckle herself into a Frontier, making getting into the car just a little bit easier and that's important. :) Thanks for reminding me.

I wouldn't get the turbo if she's already outgrowing the nautilus. My 5yo outgrew the nautilus harness and the turbobooster. They're not that far off from each other in max height (speaking of the nautilus in harness mode).

Good to know. It seems like the few boosters that fit really narrow kids best are also made for shorter kids.

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I should probably just click that order button. :D

Athena

Looks like the only decision now is which Frontier pattern? I vote for cowmoo!

:D

If we didn't already have 2 cowmoos as their primary seats, that's exactly what I'd get. But I was thinking some variety might be good, so probably Livia this time. Plus the livia is $212.49 right now on amazon. I just wish it would go a bit lower because it has been even less than that recently, the only reason I'm still hesitating on clicking order. :eek:

To those who know the livia fabric, I know it isn't the soft type like cowmoo (boo about that :(), but is it at least as padded? I love the raspberry looking color, but am still just a little concerned about it not being cozy enough.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I just got a Livia (for my almost-6 year old's primary seat- she outgrew the Safeguard Child Seat :eek: ) and it's very nice fabric. The black part is velour-ish, and the pink part is thick and quilted, very cushy/well padded. But not as sweaty as velour (good for my very sweaty child lol!)

Athena

I just got a Livia (for my almost-6 year old's primary seat- she outgrew the Safeguard Child Seat :eek: ) and it's very nice fabric. The black part is velour-ish, and the pink part is thick and quilted, very cushy/well padded. But not as sweaty as velour (good for my very sweaty child lol!)

I can't wait to have one too! I did it. I clicked on place order and it'll be on it's way soon. Yippee!

(... so you know what that means? It'll probably go down in price tomorrow. :p)

luckyclov

DD went from a Regent to a FR85 at 5 1/2. And then to another FR85 at 6 1/2 (she "needed" Livia as soon as it was released:p). She's 7 1/2 now and still harnessed (those days are quickly coming to an end), but we will be transitioning to booster fulltime very shortly.

She's *thisclose* to outgrowing the Monterey and ProBooster (and everything else under it), but still has room to grow in the PWSG/L and FR85 in booster mode, so she'll likely just stay in the FR85. Thank goodness for those two otherwise she'd be going from harness to backless and that'd be a hot mess.

So, yeah, I'd definitely buy a FR85 in your case. Tallest harness top slots, converts to tallest HBB, 9 years of life from date of manufacture. Good stuff.

Phineasmama

I can't wait to have one too! I did it. I clicked on place order and it'll be on it's way soon. Yippee!

(... so you know what that means? It'll probably go down in price tomorrow. :p)

Haha I actually kinda doubt it. $212 is a really good price for a FR85!

Athena

Ours arrived! I completely agree with ketchupqueen's description. Very nice! I saw someone else describe the pink as like a nice snow suit and I think that's a good way to say it too ... a nice quilted insulated snow suit? :) The only problem .. it's so nice my DD's are now fighting over it. Thanks for all your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC