What age for a nbb?

smackeen

I am curious what age you would use a nbb? I think I will have to pick one up for any odd chance that I would be transporting my oldest's friends.

Where I live, I bet most kids my sons age are out of boosters, let alone a nbb.

ADS

Baylor

smackeen said:
I am curious what age you would use a nbb? I think I will have to pick one up for any odd chance that I would be transporting my oldest's friends.

Where I live, I bet most kids my sons age are out of boosters, let alone a nbb.

I have my 7.5 yr old in one part time. For short trips to school and baseball. Everything else he is in a hbb. For his friends? I guess it will depend on size and maturity.

auto correct hates me

MommyBoha

for me, 8 years old part time and 10 years old full time. I have a 9 year old and he has ridden in a nbb just once. I didnt like the shoulder fit, so he wont be riding in it again anytime soon

mommaon112903

For me and my tiny 8yr old he has one for emergency use only. We do not transport anyone else.

Even though he has a longer than average torso, he will remain in his PB until it is outgrown. The way it is going he will be an easy 10 if not 11 before he outgrows it and moves into a NBB full time.

monstah

My DS is going to be in a LBB in my DH's car sometime within the year I'm guessing. Right now he's 6, 7 in Oct, and he's at the top setting of the turbo. It depends on how quickly his torso grows. We have a couple LBB that DS uses when we fly or if we need the third row folded down.

In my car he has a decent amount of room in his Oobr.

If a friend rides with us, DS rides in his Bubble Bum, 2nd row center and the friend rides in the Oobr in the third row. I like keeping them separated to keep the shenanigans to a minimum. :p

But if we had two friends, I'd use a LBB for one of them (kindergarten age) if the parent doesn't leave one or if they say he doesn't need one.

christineka

I have short torsoed kids and dislike using the shoulderbelt adjuster. We do high back as long as the child fits or until age 12. Backless in other vehicles starting at 8 years. For other people's kids, backless at 8 or too tall for a high back.

ElfJewel

I let them ride part time at 6 (grandma's car, sometimes K rides in M's seat). Full time when they outgrow the back (M was 9).

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Kate has been in one part time since maybe 6.5? and now is in a nbb in one car FT as of age 7.5. She's got a long torso, and is nearly out of the back of her turbo in the other vehicle, I think by age 8, she will be in NBB in both vehicles. The shoulder belt fit on her is really good in both vehicles though..i wouldn't allow it if fit were bad, but we dont even need an adjuster, the shoulder belts just magically fit awesomely, so I guess we lucked out with our vehicle choices? Alex? No clue. He's ridiculously tiny.

Chris

I love the harmony literider as a spare/friend seat. With the shoulderbelt adjuster I feel like if the seatbelt fit isn't good then we still have the option of adjusting it with the shoulderbelt adjuster. I have had to transport my very large 4 yr old using it in an emergency when her 5 pt harness did not fit in a three across and we got a great fit with the shoulderbelt adjuster.

I let my 9 yr old ride in a nbb when in friends cars, in dad's car he is out of a booster because there are no headrests and the booster put him up so high that he had no head support :eek:. In our main car he is still harnessed in a frontier!!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I like to keep a NBB around for transporting any kid that's big/old enough to be in a booster at all. None of my children are booster age.

As it happens, I gave my Harmony booster away and I need to decide whether to get another one, or just keep the Monterey I've got sitting here. I could keep the bottom portion in the car all the time for emergency use. Hmm.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC