Help me find a study...

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I read a study, once, which despite relatively decent google-fu I cannot for the life of me find. Of course I didn't bookmark it at the time. :cool:

What I recall from this is some case studies of crashes -- I think it was a foreign study but I don't think it was the Volvo study that we're familiar with. (If it is I'm missing the part I'm looking for!) What sticks out in my mind is the case of a fatal accident with a five-year-old girl in which it was concluded that she would have survived if she'd been RF.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I've never seen anyone discuss it anywhere and I can't find it so I'm beginning to wonder if I misread something or made it up or...?

Thanks in advance. :)

ADS

christineka

Aw, too bad I didn't read this quicker. I have the study bookmarked. While I whole heartily believe rfing is safest, I question the methodology of the study. Some of the ffing kids were in shield boosters, which we know are unsafe and inappropriate for 3 year olds anyway.

Carrie_R

Shield boosters, like the Dorel Grand Voyager, or shield boosters, like the Kiddy seat?

If that's included in the study, just ignore me, lol.

Thank you!!

Carrie_R

Thanks, just looked it over. Except I'm not finding the case with the 5yo. So confused. (lol)

christineka

Thanks, just looked it over. Except I'm not finding the case with the 5yo. So confused. (lol)

The 5 yo is the last one.

Eta- must have been one of the last ones... Or I remembered wrong. I see the last was a 5 month old.

The 5 and 3/4 year old is mentioned in the UK area, which doesn't have crash data listed. It's in section 5.1, which I apparently can't copy.

Last edited:

Carrie_R

I'm reading that as a 5.75 month old baby. I had to read it a couple of times, but it doesn't make sense that it would be kids ranging from 5y and 3/4m to just under 4... Especially since the study focuses on kids 3 and under, kwim?

So now I'm wondering if I misread this study some time ago and classified that child as 5y in my mind or if there was another study. I'm really leaning toward the latter, because I recall there being some detail to the case study (incl the child being female) which there is not here. Or maybe I'm just going mad, lol! But I distinctly remember being shocked at her age and that finding, since I'd never seen a case study where rf had been considered significant for a child older than 4, kwim?

christineka

I'm reading that as a 5.75 month old baby. I had to read it a couple of times, but it doesn't make sense that it would be kids ranging from 5y and 3/4m to just under 4... Especially since the study focuses on kids 3 and under, kwim?

So now I'm wondering if I misread this study some time ago and classified that child as 5y in my mind or if there was another study. I'm really leaning toward the latter, because I recall there being some detail to the case study (incl the child being female) which there is not here. Or maybe I'm just going mad, lol! But I distinctly remember being shocked at her age and that finding, since I'd never seen a case study where rf had been considered significant for a child older than 4, kwim?

I see that now too. I read that study forward and backward when it came out and I thought there was a just turned 5 yo as well. Perhaps we're both crazy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC