If your kid can buckle him/herself in a 5pt...

Phineasmama

Are they constantly getting the straps twisted and the buckles all messed up?? My 5year old has been able to buckle herself in and out of the seat for a while now, but I am constantly having to fix the straps and it's really annoying. I don't know if it's just the Prosport or if other people have this problem too :rolleyes:

ADS

PurpleCat

My 3.5 year old has just started to get himself partially buckled in (chest buckle only) and he always twists it too. He gets so excited to get the harness on that the chest clip usually gets twisted around.

It's a kid thing. :)

YinzerMama

do you have pads on the straps? we had twisting issues with our fr85 but they decreased by at least 80% when i removd the pads. i think my girls were making the pads straight but twisting the straps. with no pad i got them to learn to feel at the shoulder and follow it down if that makes any sense.

the fr85 pads are shaped though and have a right/wrong way... it might not make a difference for a non shaped pad.

jess71903

Ambassador
Gage has just started being able to buckle himself up completely. He's in a PS, too, and he does sometimes get things twisted, but not ever time.

Phineasmama

do you have pads on the straps? we had twisting issues with our fr85 but they decreased by at least 80% when i removd the pads. i think my girls were making the pads straight but twisting the straps. with no pad i got them to learn to feel at the shoulder and follow it down if that makes any sense.

the fr85 pads are shaped though and have a right/wrong way... it might not make a difference for a non shaped pad.

Yeah but they are just loose pads for the shoulders, they are nothing like the Frontier pads. Part of the problem is that she keeps getting the bottom buckles twisted around so that they are going through the straps the wrong way if that makes sense, I don't even know how she does it! She usually twists one of the shoulder straps too though :rolleyes:

Jessica61624

Dd has been buckling herself for over a year in her frontier. She never twists the straps. The pads are usually facing the wrong direction.

xursusmaritimusx

my DD doesnt have a problem... we have an '08 nauti with the old style buckles and straps..... they've never twisted or anything. she might be slightly more obsessed with "correct order" though and always does things "right" lol

cookie123

The first time we used the SK400 Matthew had things so twisted up and it was so cold out I left it that way. I think I'll try to teach him to put it on straight. Ha ha. I'll let you guys know how that goes. He usually got things a bit twisted in the RN and now in the SK400. The GN must be better because Hannah and Brett always seemed to not have much of a problem.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
KAtie was able to buckle herself perfectly in the nauti from age 3.5 onwards. no issues. Alex is 4.25, and can't buckle himself at all. totally different child.

canadiangie

My kids have incredible manual dexterity (fine motor skills?) and have each been buckling perfectly since about 3. It's totally bizarre how able they both are to do this -- especially Emma, my middle dd. They also know correct terminology so it's no uncommon to hear my oldest telling my middle to "raise your chest clip a smidge" or Emma telling Sophia to "fix your HUGS". Baby dd is clearly well on her way to being like this as she's already grasping the chest clip (with thumbs in perfect position) trying to unbuckle when we've reached our destination. She's not even 18mos. Friends marvel at all of this, and even I'm not totally sure how they do things so well. If they do twist a strap they correct it without being told.

Phineasmama

I just discovered she has been loosening the harness!!! I gave her a good lecture on that one, thank goodness I noticed it because she could have flown right out!!

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
My 5 and 7 year olds have been buckling themselves for at least a year, probably a little bit longer. No, they don't get the straps twisted, they are great about checking to make sure everything is laying right before buckling. Rarely, I'll have to untwist something when they are having trouble, but that's probably only once a month or so.

Phineasmama

She loosened the harness again today while we were on the way back from ballet :rolleyes: I've already lectured her on it and it was REALLY loose, not just a little bit. I put her Oobr in there instead since we're not driving far any time soon and she sits just fine in that, but I think I might have to get a different harnessed seat to use for long trips.
I tried her in the Nauti at Target just out of curiosity and she could not get the crotch buckle in OR out! I don't know how all your LOs do it because even I thought it was pretty hard!

jsmom

DD is 5.5 and she has been buckling herself for a couple of years now. She is really obsessive about the straps twisting, if she cant undo them then she will ask me to. :)

Chris

FYI-The nauti buckle gets easier with time, but I still struggle (DD does not LOL). It is really rare that she gets the straps twisted, but she likes them snug. My DS loosens his straps all the time and he also has struggles with twisting so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Phineasmama

When did you buy your Nauti? I was kind of wondering if the same "new buckle" thing that happened with the MyRide is on the Nautilus too...I tried two different prints and the Argos and they were all the same, ridiculously hard!

hesgimenez

DS is in a Regent in my car and every once in a while the straps do get twisted. He knows to straighten them out-or asks me to do it. In the Nautilus the straps don't seem to get twisted but he rides in that much less frequently.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC