FR85 in Dodge/Chrystler van?

Phineasmama

Friend asked me how well the FR85 installs in the new body style, not sure exactly which year her van is but it's like my 2010 caravan. She is willing to install in either the 3rd row or one of the captains chairs but it would need to be seat belt compatible as her 4 year old is upwards of 47 lbs already. I used to have a fR but traded it so I can't check myself!

ADS

maddysmomma

We have a 2012 Dodge Caravan. It fits well anywhere. I'm currently using LATCH in the captain chair & rear tether. I had to recline the seat a tiny bit to get it to fit well but its rock solid. It also fits in the third row w/ seatbelt. The LATCH in the back row is a pain(I think there's only one in the middle & no anchors outboard but don't quote me, its been awhile)

luckyclov

Installs great with long belt path in the captains chairs. Nice and solid. There is some minor "gapping" at the back/bottom (between the FR85 and vehicle seat) due to the slope of the vehicle seat, but it is not a safety issue if the install is otherwise acceptable. If there is no gap, you've likely got the vehicle seat back too reclined and should re-install.

It installs OK with LATCH in the 3rd row and outboard with long belt path. The install should be checked regularly (as with any seat) in the 3rd row because there is potential for it to loosen over time. And, of course, there's no top tether anchor outboard in the 3rd row, though retrofit is available through Chrysler.

I don't like using lower anchors in this vehicle with the FR85. The long belt path is much more favorable with the seat slope and gives a much more solid (and more upright) install.

My preference would be in a captains chairs, long belt path & top tether. Here's a FR85 acceptably installed in a 2009 Grand Caravan:
IMG_1090.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC