Question Does anyone wonder about the SG clip on the PW

glockchick

Possibly causing internal abdominal injuries in an accident?

These aren't measured in NHTSA crash tests, correct? I don't think there's any real life data either way. In the grand scheme of things, not many people use the PW or FR as a booster and even less use the SG clip. I have two kids that ride in a PW without the clip, and the one that uses the clip only uses the PW very sparingly.

The problem I envision is that really hard plastic pushing into the soft tissue in the space between the iliac crests (top pokey out bones of the pelvis ;)) and possibly lacerating the bladder or bowel.

Has anyone else had this thought? Or am I just crazy and over thinking. :p

Here's where is sits on my dd.
6f519fd4.jpg

Adding a pic of the pelvis...
250px-Pelvis_diagram.png

ADS

blueindigo

I wonder if the clip is made to break in a crash like chest clips are? I am insterested to see what others say about it.

glockchick

I kinda doubt it. These things are thick. I'll get a pic later. I'm working on my geography homework right now. ;)

hrice

blueindigo said:
I wonder if the clip is made to break in a crash like chest clips are? I am insterested to see what others say about it.

The SG is quite solid. And heavy.

glockchick

Good point. It may not be. It was just a random thought I had the other day while putting dd in her seat.

It seems like it presses into her belly more than a crotch buckle because it hooks over the belt that restrains the child. It may do nothing more than add to the bruise the child would get from the belt.

Also, a buckle on a car seat will have forces from the hips, the shoulders, and the crotch and the forces are more spread out. Where the crotch attaches to the seat on the booster is significantly in front of the child with the SG clip, so the main forces will be at the hips. The child (at least mine) would have to move significantly forward in the seat for the crotch strap to have force and pull that buckle down to the lower bones of the pelvis.

I know, I'm probably over thinking it. I do crap like this when my kids are with their dad and I can't get motivated to do anything else. ;)

HEVY

Since DD been in the booster I too wonder about this. The clip is right at the groin, maybe if it were laying flat on the groin there may just be bruising, but it's flatter on the hips which would make the top, the thin part, ram right into the groin. Maybe I am using it wrong.

Last edited:

Syllieann

I can buy that it might cause bruising but I wouldn't worry that it could cause internal organ damage because it can't go any further into the body than the hip bones, or iliac crest from the diagram.

aept

Syllieann said:
I can buy that it might cause bruising but I wouldn't worry that it could cause internal organ damage because it can't go any further into the body than the hip bones, or iliac crest from the diagram.

I agree. It wouldn't be able to "poke in" as the lap portion would be taut on the pelvis.

noahsmom24

I think you still are bringing up a good thought, I was actually thinking about the SG clip myself when I was putting ds in his PW earlier today.
It does just seem a little "different" then a normal crotch buckle, but couldn't tell you EXACTLY why.

theconstantreader

I think you still are bringing up a good thought, I was actually thinking about the SG clip myself when I was putting ds in his PW earlier today.
It does just seem a little "different" then a normal crotch buckle, but couldn't tell you EXACTLY why.

I think the difference is the clip doesn't have the straps going down into it like a five point with a crotch buckle has. Which makes it look like it could poke into the soft part of a childs tummy. That's what it looks like to me anyway. :eek:

glockchick

Exactly. The SG clip sits inside of the restraining belt and isn't flush like a car seat harness.

I'm going to get one of my extras and put it on my belt to see how far it would poke in. Yes, I'm weird like that.

glockchick

After doing some extremely scientific testing, mainly clipping the SG clip onto my belt and pulling the seat belt as tight as I could while holding onto the part attached to the seat to account for that, I have determined it is no big deal.

The way the SG clip is attached to the strap makes the actual clip part lie perfectly flat and it doesn't poke in at all.

So there ya go. :ROTFLMAO:

luckyclov

After doing some extremely scientific testing, mainly clipping the SG clip onto my belt and pulling the seat belt as tight as I could while holding onto the part attached to the seat to account for that, I have determined it is no big deal.

The way the SG clip is attached to the strap makes the actual clip part lie perfectly flat and it doesn't poke in at all.

So there ya go. :ROTFLMAO:
I bet you're going to get published for that.:p

Strangely I was wondering about this myself!! I saw one in person for the first time the other day and wondered about them. Thanks for doing some research on your own. I wonder though...what if you took the pad off of say the Frontier crotch strap and put it on this...Just curious..would that hinder it?? Make it more comfy? That was the first thing that came to mind, why dont they have a pad for that thing? :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC