Speaking of school bus issues? Safety in headstart's minivan...

5'smomma

My three year old attends preschool through the public school system and special education 4 days a week so he can recieve speech therapy services. And I have concerns about the car seats that are used in the school minivan. This spring the driver had to move them in and out several times a day. They aren't specific to each child, so the straps aren't snug. The seats are cheap, twisty straps, etc. And I don't think they're installed correctly regarding the locking clip. I've mentioned my concerns several times to the driver and tried to use our own seat instead (a Britax with built in locking clip) which he wouldn't agree to, and to the primary teacher in the classroom. This is our first experience with special services from the school system. Where do I go next? What are your experiences with this sort of situation?

My thoughts are that since the seats are moved around so much they should provide easier to install seats. Does Britax have some kind of program for this sort of thing? Regardless, they should have to use our seat if I want to.

Thanks for your input.

Nicole

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I am taking a School Bus restraints course this Thursday, and it will also cover Head Start issues. Please check back next weekend and I will try to have an answer for you!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I would express your concerns to the district's transportation administrator. Tell them it is a very serious liability issue if they are not restraining children properly. They should consult a child passenger safety technician in the area for consultation, preferably one with training in school bus issues. Hopefully, the driver has taken the 8-hour NHTSA course intended for bus drivers and monitors.

Based on my limited experience, the use of a locking clip at all on a school bus is a red flag. Most buses do not have lap/shoulder belts and therefore a locking clip cannot be used. The lap belt systems on most buses may not even accomodate a heavy duty belt shortening clip, and their use is often not recommended on school buses. If you mean a passenger minivan rather than a mini-bus, then it would depend on the model and year of the van. In this case, any CPS technician could provide consultation even if they do not have school bus specific training.

The cheap seat issue is only a serious problem if they are old (over 6 years), broken, recalled or otherwise unsafe. Obviously, they do need to be used properly regardless of their condition. The snug strap issue is one of the tricky ones for the reason you mention. This is compounded by varying clothing and inexpensive seats with difficult adjustments.

Many districts do have policies against using a parent's seat, since there are too many unknowns that also increase liability. Of course, if they are concerned enough with liability to prohibit using parent's restraint systems, then they should also be concerned enough to listen to your concerns. A written letter might get some attention.

We might be able to help you further. Can you please provide:

1) model and year of vehicle
2) Brand and model of child seats
3) weight and height of child
4) Description of locking clip and any other misuse

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC