Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Help! Main vehicle transmission out & need seat arrangement in another vehicle

We have a Chevy Suburban with transmission problems and we can no longer drive our vehicle until it is repaired. We currently have the following seats (which will probably only fit in a Suburban since they are SO wide):

All Center Row
    Behind Driver - FF Britax Frontier 85 - 3y8m Boy, 33lb
    Middle Seat - FF Britax Frontier 85 - 6y3m Boy, 43lb
    Behind Passenger - RF Britax Boulevard 70 - 1y5m Boy, 27lb

Our only other vehicle is a 1996 Volvo 850. I KNOW the current seats (as is) will not fit in the Volvo. I am curious what reasonably priced seats would work 3 across for our boys? I know that 2 Radians and the Boulevard would likely *just* fit since we previously used 2 Radians FF and a Chaperone RF in this car. The Radians are out of our price range currently.

I would appreciate any help or advise.

Thank you.

ETA: I want to keep the 6yo harnessed if possible. This arrangement would only be for a week or two.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: Help! Main vehicle transmission out & need seat arrangement in another vehicle

I would try an Evenflo Maestro for the middle child, and perhaps also for the oldest. You could also try a Graco Turbobooster for the oldest. I think there is also a narrow highback booster made by Harmony? I can't remember the name of it. But it might be a good one to try also.

Try those options and see if you can get something to work. Try the seats in different positions too. So...

RF boulevard, FF Maestro, FF Maestro, OR
    FF Maestro, RF boulevard, FF Maestro, OR
    RF boulevard, booster (if there is a lap/shoulder belt in the center), Maestro OR
    RF boulevard, Maestro, booster, OR
    maestro, RF boulevard, booster

ETA: if none of those work, then I'd keep trying with the maestro and/or booster for the older kids and see if you can make it work with a narrower convertible for the baby - maybe a Cosco Scenera.
    Cutie #1 (12 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Cosco Topside or Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (5 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (2 years) riding in a Nuna Rava