im torn between the 3...

Michelle

I am still torn on what seat to get my daughter. I have no idea what kind of car we will be buying in a few months so I cant base my decision off of that and we are buying the seat this month (my dad is able to help pay if we get it now)

She is almost 38 in tall and weighs close to 35 lbs. I feel like i keep posting about these seats but I just dont really know. We want the regent but then I keep comparing it to the recaro that i believe isnt out yet and the radian 80.

I know the Recaro only goes up to 70lbs right? but the height is 59". The regent goes to 80 lbs and height is 53" and The Radian is also 80 with height of 49". So the radian wouldnt last as long as the other two right? But I also like the Radian and Recaro because of their side impact protection and they are aircraft approved. Would all 3 last until she doesnt need it anymore? Thats what i am looking for...and also safety but I think they are all pretty much equally safe? right?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
What is kiddo's age?
What seat do you have now? How much room until it's outgrown?

I don't consider the Radian80 worth the higher cost compared to the Radian65 unless kiddo is obese (because they have the same top slot measurement & most kids outgrow by height before weight anyway).

Do you know if the vehicle will have LATCH and/or reclinable vehicle seatbacks?

Michelle

Shes 2 1/2 and right now has a costco scenera but will outgrow that poretty soon. Im not sure how to tell when they are too tall for the seat but she is big for her age. Also i have no idea what kind of car or year we are getting. We are on a really tight budget but I am really hoping we can get something 2000 or up.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
She's probably FF based on weight & age -- she'll outgrow the seat when the top of her shoulders are even with or slightly above the highest harness slot.... How much room is there? 1" or how much more/less than 1" :confused: You could have more time than you think ;)

If you're planning on a sedan type vehicle then it likely won't have reclinable vehicle seatbacks, but some small SUVs do & most minivans with middle row captain chairs do: reclinable vehicle seatbacks make carseat installation really easy :)

Michelle

Ill have to look next time she sits in her seat...she actually may be close to outgrowing it . I could be wrong though. I plan to purchase her seat within the next few weeks but we wont actually use it till october so i hope she can stay in her seat until then.

We are wanting an suv with 3rd row seating...not too big of a car though.

keri1292

Car seats expire so, don't buy it til you really need it. You don't want to "waste" useable time on it. If she has time in her Scenera, that is.

Michelle

well we kind of have to buy it now...my dad is willing to pay half . lol. If we buy it in oct we will have to pay all of it and probably wont be able to afford it then.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yay for grandpa helping out!

1" of torso growth can take about a year, but I definitely understand wanting to get the seat now when you have the financial help :)

If you'll be getting a 7 or 8 passenger vehicle, then I think I'd choose the Regent -- it's bound to fit somewhere.... The Radian just seems more suited to a skinny kid & I haven't seen the Recaro seats yet to have a solid opinion, but if you want the longest lasting seat the Regent is probably the ideal choice (other than a Safeguard Childseat for twice the $ :rolleyes:)

Are there any other passengers we should be aware of? Ages, weights, heights if possible please.

Michelle

Yay for grandpa helping out!

1" of torso growth can take about a year, but I definitely understand wanting to get the seat now when you have the financial help :)

If you'll be getting a 7 or 8 passenger vehicle, then I think I'd choose the Regent -- it's bound to fit somewhere.... The Radian just seems more suited to a skinny kid & I haven't seen the Recaro seats yet to have a solid opinion, but if you want the longest lasting seat the Regent is probably the ideal choice (other than a Safeguard Childseat for twice the $ :rolleyes:)

Are there any other passengers we should be aware of? Ages, weights, heights if possible please.

Ill pass on the safeguard. lol. They are so expensive...and the reviews ive seen for them arent really that good.

Yeah we do keep going back to the Regent...does it matter though that they dont have the side impact?

And yes I have my 1 yr old who is 23 lbs...not sure on her height though. Then we will be having a newborn in a few months:)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Congrats on #3

3 kids shouldn't be a problem in a 7 or 8 passenger vehicle.... Once you want to add other friends/family it could start to get tricky with the Regent :eek:

Every correctly used 5 point harness provides very good side impact protection: the Regent's sides are also pretty deep + it's made of a stronger grade plastic than most carseats, in a double hollow shell design fully lined with EPS foam (like in helmets) -- very safe even though they don't market it with "TSIP" :thumbsup:

I'm curious where you might've seen poor reviews on the Safeguard Childseat? Other than cost it is an amazing seat! Safeguard is a part of IMMI (makers of LATCH & emergency restraint systems) + they perform some really extensive crash testing. Definitely worth the $ if someone has it (don't worry, I certainly don't have it either :p)

Also, just want to make sure your toddler is still RF? Scroll down my "Carseats & Boosters" page in my website for details on why extended RF is sooooooo important :love:

Michelle

Re: Congrats on #3

Thanks for your help! You know my 2 yr old is forward facing and has been for a long time...since she turned a yr old. I never knew about keeping them rear facing until very recently. So Im keeping my 1 yr old for a while until she cant anymore. But I need to weigh my 2 yr old. I am guessing she is 33-35 lbs but im really not sure. She hasnt been weighed in a while and I have been wanting to weigh her to see if she can sit rear facing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC