98 Sierra Tether Retrofit

Syllieann

It's officially summer here :D so the truck is not being used. I want to take it in to get TA installed in case ds doesn't last rf through next winter. From my searches I've found that I can get at least 1 tether installed and that I need to reference the service bulletin number. The center is lap belt only so I'd really like to have a TA there. Can anyone look up to see what positions they can be retrofitted? Also, can I buy my own heavy duty anchor and have them install that instead for the center position? It's the ext cab in case that matters. It's actually Chevy Silverado-I was searching both and confused myself and now I can't edit the title.:eek:

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Specific tether anchor retrofit part numbers for retrofittable GM/GMC vehicle models are not listed in the LATCH manual at all because the part info. changes over time and GM dealerships are supposed to have the current part information. There aren't detailed individual GM model listings indicating which positions are retrofittable for retrofittable GM models in the LATCH manual, either (Saturns are the only exception to this). You'll need to contact the GM dealership and refer the dealership to GM tether anchor retrofit bulletin number 99-09-40-004a for details on the GM policy of retrofitting 1 tether anchor for free.

Syllieann

Is it possible for me to buy a heavy duty anchor to use in a pre drilled hole? I'm thinking that eventually I will need a heavy duty to deal w/ the lap belt only position.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No idea. You would need to check on the truck's compatibility with the HDTA vendor.

U

Unregistered

FYI-Took the bulletin to the local GMC dealership (California) to get the tether on a '98 GMC Sierra. They weren't familiar with it but checked the bulletin out and after a few days were able to order the part from back east. Supposedly, the part should be here in a week. We shall see!

Thanks to all the posts, otherwise we wouldn't have known =)

U

Unregistered

Can you tell me where they put the TA? I am having an EZ on TA installed, since GM doesn't make their part anymore, and I was wondering where GM would put the tether?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC